Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Same room, different temperatures

J

jennifer

Here is a dramatic illustration of the fact that the temperature of water in an aquarium can be either higher or lower than the ambient air. There was a 6-degree F (about 3.5 degrees C) difference between the water in one tank versus the tub in the same room!

All three temperatures were measured with the same aquarium thermometer. I would like to repeat the measurements with a more accurate thermometer, if I can find one that works in both air and water.

Air temp = 71F (21.7C)
Tank temp = 74F (23.3C)
Tub temp = 68F (20.0C)

Here are photos of the tank and tub:

17001.jpg

17002.jpg

The relevant differences between the tank and tub:

glass lid versus open top
1 meter off the ground versus on the floor
canister filter versus air-driven filter

Moral of the story: if you really want a cool tank, put it on the floor, get a screen lid, and ditch the power filter!

S

sharon

LOL! Or you could put the tanks IN the bathtub!!!

I did notice that my tanks with internal powerfilters were warmer than the two with air pump driven filters. I really think I need to stop being so cheap and buy some truely silent air pumps.

Sharon

J

jennifer

Sharon - I highly recommend Rena air pumps. They are about as close to silent as you can get.

A

alan

Second Jenn's recommendation.
Also, I'm currently using a Rena airpump which is coming up for it's 40th birthday (although it hasn't been used continuously for that time) - pretty good going.
Do Rena make cars?
wink.gif

S

sharon

Hey! Great suggestion! I was figuring it would be another try and try again, product test thing!

Thanks!

Sharon

A

anthony

Sharon another way to silence the the pumps is to set them on carpet.It makes a huge difference.It is a must though that you use one of the anti-reverse flow valves on the line though.Other wise a power failure could cause a nice flood.

S

sharon

LOL! Thank goodness, my 1 1/2 yr daughter goes through shoes so quickly!

I put a thick pad of carpet on the bottom and put make-up foam wedges on the sides, this does keep them fairly quiet. But not enough!!! LOL!

Sharon

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!