Sand and Gravel?

J

johnathan

Well I'm in the process of getting all of the tank needs and I think about the possibility of using both... Is that a good idea?

Stick with the sand - without gravel they can't run the risk of swallowing gravel.

If you use gravel and sand in time the sand will sink below the gravel.

What about sand and large rocks? Is that a good alternative?

Why not just use sand OR large rocks? What's the point in both?

Sand and large rocks is fine though cleaning the poop will be real hard. It'll probably sink onto the sand and you cant quite keep moving large rocks around to clean it. So i dont know i would just pick sand i think.

If you are only after a bit of variety in the substrate, You could have like a large rock feature at one end of the tank but I imagine they will eventually settle into the sand, minimising the effect somewhat. Just sounds like more work to me, having two types of substrate .
violent.gif

Mine are currently housed in a tank using both sand and gravel...If you have a lot of plants to help cycle their waste this set-up works well, and visually it can be a more natural, attractive tank. Planting the tank and having a good filter helps with reduce the number of water changes. Set it up and let it cycle for several weeks to get the most benefit from bacterial degradation.

This is probably a <u>really stupid</u> question but what does 'cycling' your tank mean?

When setting up an aquarium, buy some cheap hardy fish and get the cycle started.
These fish have been given names like "Starter Fish". "Suicide Fish", "Disposables" and so on.Fishless Cycling of the Aquarium

The purpose of these fish is to provide ammonia through respiration, fish waste, and decaying food. The ammonia allows the first set of nitrifying bacteria to colonize and to initiate the cycling of the tank.

During this time of cycling, ammonia and later nitrites will spike up to dangerous levels for the little creatures. Some of them survive the harsh welcome but will not live out their full potential. Of course a few exceptions are tolerated within this rule.

The cycle is complete as soon as ammonia and nitrite levels are no longer measurable by test kits. This classical form of cycling takes anywhere from 30 to 45 days.

Refrences
http://www.algone.com/fishless_cycling.htm
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article14.html

Deanna - You can also do fishless cycling. Here is another article for you: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

You should have a test kit that will allow you to test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Ph is another good thing to test because if you have a high ph ammonia is more deadly.

It is important to have a test kit after the cycling as well because you need to be able to test your water though out your aquariums life.

Cynthia why dont you just make a sticky on Setting up a new Aquarium or something.

Dev - That would be nice. Cycling seems to be the most popular question ever as of late.

Although the existing article is a good start it seems we are always saying the same thing over and over.. about the kits and parameters and other links.

I will ask and see if we need to write up an article or if the powers that be think it needs to be in some other format. If we all toss in our 2 cents it may save us all a lot of typing.

Can you use small colored pebbles and then a thick layer of sand??

Thanks Cynthia for the article after i posted that msg i found that site in another area. It is very informative.
And Dev thanks for your site as well but i cant seem to open it.

Monique pebbeles, stones, anything you place will sooner or later rise above as the sand settles/sink into it. If its large enough for the axie not to be able to eat it you're fine go for it.

When I think about the right size of Gravel for a tank, I think about a human trying to fit a Basket ball inside of their mouth. I think this should be the same way of thinking for an Axolotl. A really large rock or pebble and if it can fit into an Axolotls mouth. If it can't, then it is all good. Personally, I think sand is best because the bigger the gravel, the harder it is to clean. Sand is pretty low, easy cleaning. hope this helps ^_^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back