Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sand for Axolotl

Tjebb

Reaction score
So I've done lots of digging, and I'm still pretty nervous. Does anyone have any brands they know of that have safe sand for an axolotl? I would hate to put something in Dollar's tank that would hurt him.
Thanks in advance,
Tjebb

Murk

Reaction score
Hi!

Sand in axolotl tanks is still a hotly debated issue!

The opponents of sand in the axolotl tank would argue that all sand is unsafe. Your axolotl will swallow it, and this could of course lead to impactions.
This is true, but usually sand is small enough to pass through the axolotl without causing any trouble.

Because of this, you'll want to have sand that is as smooth as possible.

Most construction sand is jagged (and thus, sharp) because it makes for better concrete. Axolotl stomachs don't like it, though.

"Play sand" is designed for use in children's play areas (playgrounds, sand boxes). Because parents tend to be as paranoid about sand as axolotl owners, it's specifically selected to be smooth and safe. This makes it safe for aquarium pets, but it has its drawbacks as well. Being smooth and small, it's more likely to cloud your water (and clog your filter), and it also settles into a much denser substrate with less pockets of water/aeration - meaning it gets much dirtier much quicker.
So, "play sand" is safer, but requires more maintenance.

Aquarium stores often offer special "aquarium sand", which is either very good for your aquarium, or very bad, depending on the sand and the aquarium store. Always make sure it's a neutral, settled sand, with no extra calcium or stuff like that.
Products called "white beach sand" or "volcanic sand" or "mangrove sand" tend to contain all kinds of minerals. Great for certain aquariums, but not the best for an axolotl aquarium.
It is possible to buy some very good, neutral "aquarium sand". If you have a pet/aquarium store nearby, ask around! It comes with a price tag, though.

Gathering your own sand is not advised. I guess if you have a river or creek nearby, river sand would work well, but it would come with so many uncertainties that I wouldn't try.

I know all of the above doesn't really give you an answer. I think all types of sand have their own benefits and costs, and it's important to know which is which.
Also a good question: why did you decide on sand? Why not a bare-bottom tank or large river stones?
(Not saying sand is a bad choice, but it's important that you know why you chose it.)

Tjebb

Reaction score
Hi!

Sand in axolotl tanks is still a hotly debated issue!

The opponents of sand in the axolotl tank would argue that all sand is unsafe. Your axolotl will swallow it, and this could of course lead to impactions.
This is true, but usually sand is small enough to pass through the axolotl without causing any trouble.

Because of this, you'll want to have sand that is as smooth as possible.

Most construction sand is jagged (and thus, sharp) because it makes for better concrete. Axolotl stomachs don't like it, though.

"Play sand" is designed for use in children's play areas (playgrounds, sand boxes). Because parents tend to be as paranoid about sand as axolotl owners, it's specifically selected to be smooth and safe. This makes it safe for aquarium pets, but it has its drawbacks as well. Being smooth and small, it's more likely to cloud your water (and clog your filter), and it also settles into a much denser substrate with less pockets of water/aeration - meaning it gets much dirtier much quicker.
So, "play sand" is safer, but requires more maintenance.

Aquarium stores often offer special "aquarium sand", which is either very good for your aquarium, or very bad, depending on the sand and the aquarium store. Always make sure it's a neutral, settled sand, with no extra calcium or stuff like that.
Products called "white beach sand" or "volcanic sand" or "mangrove sand" tend to contain all kinds of minerals. Great for certain aquariums, but not the best for an axolotl aquarium.
It is possible to buy some very good, neutral "aquarium sand". If you have a pet/aquarium store nearby, ask around! It comes with a price tag, though.

Gathering your own sand is not advised. I guess if you have a river or creek nearby, river sand would work well, but it would come with so many uncertainties that I wouldn't try.

I know all of the above doesn't really give you an answer. I think all types of sand have their own benefits and costs, and it's important to know which is which.
Also a good question: why did you decide on sand? Why not a bare-bottom tank or large river stones?
(Not saying sand is a bad choice, but it's important that you know why you chose it.)

Thanks for such a fabulous response! I would go bare bottom, but I read somewhere that axolotls can get spooked cause they can't grip the ground. I was considering slate, but I don't know where I would go to get any with everything being closed where I live. So I figured sand would be my best bet right now. I definitely have a bit more research to do, but this was very helpful! Thank you!

jax

Reaction score
I found nice chunky stones, that are too big to swallow, are the way to go. I've had my 2 little fellas for over 12 years now and never had any issues. If you can get some nice big flat ones its nice to make a couple of caves for them to explore. Just make sure the stones are well cleaned before to prevent introducing any harmful parasites.

Murk

Reaction score
Oh yes, I'm a big fan of big rocks; especially on top of sand.
The sand works great as substrate for plants and for beneficial bacteria (and protects the bottom of the aquarium), while the stones prevent the axolotls from eating the sand.

AlejandroDaLotl

Reaction score
You can try to get floor vinyl from a store like home depot for a substrate but you would most likely have to get it cut to fit inside of your tank. Personally I haven't done this yet but i'm planning to redo my axolotls tank as one of my many summer/quarantine projects. If you can't or don't want to get vinyl flooring cut you can also try textured tile just make sure its waterproof and wont leech anything into the water.

miola

Reaction score
I have 2 bare bottom tanks. Easy to clean and the Axolotls don't mind. But I DO have some slate on my Amazon wish list, because I would like to make some rock features. Small World Slate and Stone is the seller, they are USA product and stated as inert. A 5 lb box of 3-5" stones is aprox 23 dollars. and they have other sizes. But I have not purchased them myself, yet.

faebugz

Reaction score
I use sand I gathered from a river nearby, I find it works great!

I did, however, boil it for about 10-15 minutes (kept at a rolling boil, that is) before I even considered adding it, and also rinsed it roughly 10000 times. It never ran entirely clear, but a little mud is okay since there's no way anything lived through the boil (I may have also done a diluted bleach soak before boiling, can't remember).

One thing I forgot to do is sift out any stray gravel with a kitchen colander- but there's hardly any bits so I just pick them out as needed.

Best part: it was totally free! And now, Lavender has mad bling cause the sand came from a river with lots of (real) gold flakes in the sand that got kicked up with the storms last winter 😎

Reaction score
I’ve had success with CaribSea Super natural sand. It’s very fine, doesn’t cloud the water if you rinse it first. I’ve had my axolotl Oaki on it since I got him, and he was less than 3 inches. The one thing you should do is have a designated non sandy surface for eating. If some sand gets on it (I have a little plate), that’s okay, but if they are younger you should pay closer attention. The reason I chose sand is because I wanted a plant tank to help with water quality, and it’s worked fine! Hope this helps!

Kingfisher

Reaction score
If you want a natural tan/beige colour sand and is fairly inexpensive, use pool filter sand from either a place that sell pool supplies or a big box store. It has to be wash really well or it will make your tank cloudy for a long time.

MotherofAxolotls

Reaction score
Sand is usually fine as long as your axolotls are at least 5-6 inches, It can still back up your axie though. When I tubbed mine I was in shock at how much they had actually been ingesting. it looks nice but it’s also really a pain to clean.. I finally removed mine about a month ago after an undetected ammonia bubble that formed underneath came up. It was bad, it was like something exploded & my axolotls slime coats were coming off they looked terrible, it was horrible. You also can’t remove it all at once because it can ruin your cycle. I’m not saying don’t use sand.. just be aware! 😊

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1