Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Schistometopum thomenses

E

edward

Here are pictures from work of a baby and adult.

Ed
18566.jpg

18567.jpg

P

paris

awwww......i want one....or two....or 10...are these bred in zoos or have their captive breeding been established anywhere? i am told by glades herp that on the rare occasion that these do come in they fetch 500$ each and sell out very fast.

E

edward

I think we are the first Zoo to breed them. The occasionally offspring that show up at Glades are surplus lab animals.
They are very territorial and if all goes well can be kept in pairs although we recently had to seperate them and only reintroduce the males on a monthly basis.

Ed

G

greg

Lab animals? That's odd. Surely there are more frequently seen species that are more likely to be used for research than this awesome blondie.

Ed, do you know if they are used as a model for something or are the ones Glades gets from studies actually OF the organism and not just some process the organism demonstrates or the kind of cells it has?

Greg

E

edward

Hi Greg,
I think they were used as an example of a live bearing caecilians and for neonatal morphology.

Ed

W

william

hi i'm from England in a county called shropshire. Are there any caecilian suppliers in the area that anyone knows about

W

william

is this species form Sao Tome? I saw a distribution map of caecilians which had Sao Tome coloured in. it also had what i think was either Mauritius or the Seychelles marked on there. Is there a species on those islands?

Y

yago

Yes, they are from Sao Tome in west Africa.
It is being breed in Germany as well. I have being in the house of a german colleague while I was at Gersfeld meeting and he show me his adults and juveniles of Schistometopum thomenses. It is a really rare creature. Greetings

K

kaysie

Hey Ed, do they care for their young, or are the babies left to fend for themselves?

E

edward

They do not care for the offspring. In fact they are somewhat territorial and occasionally slash each other up.

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1