Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Search for Dicamptondon

lexmiller

Reaction score
I will be herping in the HUmboldt County area next week and would like to really scratch D. Tenebrosus of my list of salamanders. I really think these are cool and would love to see one in person. Any suggestions on herping methods or tricks? I know to look for cold streams...anything tricks of the trade that you experts might have would help.

warrior

Reaction score
There's really no tricks but to look in cool clear streams,I found dicamptodon juveniles in clear streams with sand on the bottom.Check under rocks in streams also.If you plan on catching them for pictures or collecting you will need a net,an aquarium net will work as they are slippery sals.If your'e looking for the big adults then look around the streams under big bark or loose logs.Good luck and like the Deadpool picture.

otolith

Reaction score
In my experience with Dicamptodon sp. finding the terrestrial adults is extremely difficult, I've never found one while actively searching for them. I have found about a dozen adults but it was always randomly while hiking (in December/January, very cool, wet days) while mushroom hunting and usually in the same general area each year. The larvae are extremely easy to find though; in a suitable stream practically every other rock you flip will have one or two. In general streams that dont have trout/steelhead will have more larvae but I have found them in numerous streams in CA that have healthy trout populations.

If you are finding a lot of larvae in a stream it might be worth looking for adults in the area. Unfortunately due to the Dicamptodon's large size they are usually under logs way to heavy to flip (ie. downed redwoods), you will probably find a ton of Taricha and Ensatina Sp. though. Good luck! They are pretty unbelievable when you find them.

lexmiller

Reaction score
I am a powerlifter so I look forward to the challenge of heavy log lifting. Thank you for the tips.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1