Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Search unsuccessful

ElaineCheeko104

Reaction score
I have searched all of the pages of questions and I'm confused about top soil.
I found top soil that's ingredients read :
Forest wood products, compost, sandy loom.
Is this top soil appropriate for a mole salamander?

Blackbun

Reaction score
Hi Elaine, don't be confused as this isn't a simple question and needs a some what in depth understanding. What is top soil? Some are prefabricated from screened soil taken during house construction when the surface soil is taken away and sold separately in order to make more money and this can then be padded out with all sorts of other by products to again increase profits. Some of this padding includes shredded bark from the forestry industry etc. I use leaf mold which is the top inch or so from the beech woodland floor. You have to be sensitive here and cause minimal damage to the ecosystem. Pine based soils are acidic and may harm amphibian skin. You also have to be aware of possible contagions. It works for me very well. I'd not use top soil no matter. I will use a product (UK) called Irish moss peat which contains no additives as is a natural product from 'sustainable' sites though I am conscious about this coming from managed wetlands. I do feel guilty there but justify if based on my animals' needs. I mix it with semi decomposed beech, oak, sweet chestnut leaves. I'll see if I can find some info. Try putting your search into Google Scholar.

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I buy eco earth bricks (online, even!) They are not a bad price and I know I'm getting something safe and appropriate.

ElaineCheeko104

Reaction score
]Blackbun and Otterwoman,
Thank you for the information you provided.
I have the Eco Earth and it sticks to the salamander's body. I read the care sheets provided on this link and was trying to follow them. The top soil that I find has no chemicals or fertilizers. The ingredients read: Forest wood products, compost, sandy loom. I'm not sure that this is safe for the salamander.
Thank you very much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1