Seeking a Mentor

is there any smell coming from the water.
when your axolotl was in the tank did she go to the surface often.
are there any dark patches in the sand.

No smell, she never surfaced for air and actually seemed quite happy and comfortable! No dark patches in the sand, just a small amount of brown algae on the glass just below the surface in some spots.

go to Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity and make up enough 50% holtfreters plus 1g per litre magnessium sulphate to treat the whole tank.
make sure that there is more than enough bio-media in your filtration, go through/turn the sand over with a fork.
get a cup of tank water and add one teaspoon of sugar, put cup on a radiator to warm the water for an hour, stir to mix in sugar, add enough bottled bacteria to treat the tank, allow to sit for two hours on radiator to keep warm, switch off filter and add directly to filter then power on, make sure air stone is on and that sand turned over weekly, this should give your biological filtration a kick and may turn the water cloudy when the bacteria bloom, don't do a water change and keep dosing ammonia.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back