Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Serious cloaca problems, possible constipation? Advice/info appreciated!

CosmicSlug101

Reaction score
Hello folks, I've got an older axie, Darwin, who's recently had some issues. I'm hoping to get some advice on what's going on while I look for a local vet who can treat her if needed.

Some background- Darwin's at least 10 years old, probably closer to 15 or 20, and currently lives in a 60gal with several small fish, with a cooler kept at 62-63F (more on this later), she gets a mix of sinking pellets, red wigglers, and minnows/guppies when she catches them. In the past she's had fungal infections (and small gills as a consequence), but she's not had any issues of the sort since being in her current setup, which she's had for about 3-5 years.

About a week ago while I was out of town, there was a massive heatwave. Her temp fluctuated wildly despite our best efforts, going up to 67 or so iirc, and she recently began floating, listing to her left side. I got home and noticed a white bubble with veins? sticking out of her cloaca. I've currently got her fridged at 40F (has been there for about 4 days), after attempting a sugar bath when I suspected a cloacal prolapse, but she's had this thing for a few days and I can't tell if it's a prolapsed cloaca, a growth that needs to be removed, or something else! I can see a dark spot under the skin on her upper left side as well, but it doesn't show well in pictures.

Here are a few pics, despite Dar's best efforts to hide her problem. I didn't get more due to not wanting her out of the water for too long. I hope they're clear enough!
darwin pic 2.jpg darwin pic 3.jpg darwin pic1.jpg
(I don't use this site often, so here are links to the fullsize images, just in case!:
Image 1
Image 2
Image 3 )

I'm happy to provide any other useful info. I've been admittedly lax on checking her water conditions due to several other stresses, but her tank is getting serious maintenance while she's in the fridge, and I'm hoping to be able to help her and get her back to health! Thanks in advance!

wolfen

Reaction score
it does look like a prolapse but it also looks like it needs to be vet checked before reduction and reinsertion. reducing the prolapse may require her to be removed from water for a period of time while a hyperosmotic solution is applied to the area.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1