Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Set-up help for 2 juvies?

Nikkifro8994

Reaction score
5 years later and I'm finally getting my axies! I'll be getting 2 juveniles in July and want to make sure I have everything perfect for them. I'm planning on keeping them in a 29 gallon as adults, but I feel like I'll lose them in there as juvies. I have a 10 gallon that I can use as a grow out tank. Would that be a better option than going straight to the 29?

Also, I know that juvies will eat each other if they don't have enough space. If I use the 10 gallon, will I need a divider until they're big enough to be together?

Take set-up:
Sponge filter (currently running in my community fish tank to jumpstart the cycle)
Bare or slate bottom
Terra cotta pots and PCV pipe for hides
I'll also transfer some of the plants from my community tank over. I've got Anubis on driftwood, moss balls, java fern, bacopa, and duck weed.

Nikkifro8994

Reaction score
I just realized that I have a 20 gallon long turtle tank in the garage. Right now it only holds 10 gallons because it has a half wall on one end for a turtle basking area. But I may be able to get a piece of acrylic cut and sealed in place to make it a full 20 gallons. Then use a divider if necessary to keep them separate. I'm not sure how big they'll be yet when I get them.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
If they're young they are more cannibalistic so you can divide if possible but otherwise just ensure there are a few hides to choose from and feed them regularly. Keep an eye for fighting and be prepared to separate. I kept my 2 together from about 4 inches long and haven't had issues. Depending on the size of the axolotls they could go in the 10 gallon but I would go with a larger one if possible, you may just need to lower the water level so it isn't too hard to swim up. I got my girl Carol at 2 inches and I had her water depth about 15-20cm to start.
I've used barebottom so far for my juveniles, slate works but food/poop may get trapped. Pots and pipes are perfect for hides, I use them as well. Sponge filter is great for a small tank, once you upgrade (the 20-29gallon) I would add a HOB or canister as well.
I have an old turtle tank I'm using for my axolotls. It had a shelf in the centre but it was only silconed on so I was able to use a razor to remove it. How far up is the shelf? If it's like halfway you could leave it there and keep the water a couple of inches higher, this way they have more floor space.

Nikkifro8994

Reaction score
The turtle tank doesn’t have a shelf. It has 3 full walls and then half of a wall on one end with the top half open. It’s a 20 gallon long tank, but because the wall is open, it only holds about 10 gallons. I’m headed to the hardware store either afternoon or tomorrow to see if they can cut a piece of acrylic to make a full wall. I’m also going to look for some items to make hides and maybe some slate tile pieces for the bottom of the tanks. I figure I can pick up the tiles once a week when I do a water change and make sure there’s nothing trapped.

I’ve got a sponge filter that’s rated for 45 gallons. Would that be enough in the 29 gallon tank? If not, I can add an HOB filter if needed. I just don’t want to stress them out with too much water movement.

Kingfisher

Reaction score
When I got my 2 axxies; Dim and Sum; they were maybe 2" long . I initially kept them in a 2.5 gallon tank and feed them daily. I then moved them to a 10 gallon when all their legs grew back (from being bitten off by their brothers and sisters) with pretty of hiding places and kept them well feed. They did occasionally nip each other but no real damage from the bites. They got more more injuries from when they freaked out from the nip and bumping in the driftwood or hiding spot. They're now happy in a 55 gallon tank!

Hayleyy

Reaction score
I see! Makes more sense now haha. There should be heaps of guides online about adding walls to tanks to make sure it holds the water weight properly if you need it.
I like using other filters in addition because sponge filters are only biological, I like to also have chemical and mechanical. I have prefilter sponge in the output of my HOB to reduce water flow.
As long as you are cleaning under the slate weekly that shouldn't be an issue :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!