Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Severe axolotl wound

Lyned

Reaction score
I’ve been using the established aquarium water in his tub with a pinch of Keneflex and Indian leaves. But I just think he would be more comfortable in his tank.

Lyned

Reaction score
Just curious how you know so much about these amazing little creatures?

Lyned

Reaction score
It’s what his breeder told me to use. That or Methylene Blue. I had the Kanaplex on hand. Darn autocorrect.

Attachments

• 97C81754-FE06-4B00-93FA-DC694742202F.png
    97C81754-FE06-4B00-93FA-DC694742202F.png
    644.2 KB · Views: 103

Lyned

Reaction score
This was how I found him last Sunday. I don’t think I shared the original photo. I thought he was dead. 😪. Heartbreaking!!

Attachments

• D0D17A4B-5E63-475F-952B-8FF6A757EB03.jpeg
    D0D17A4B-5E63-475F-952B-8FF6A757EB03.jpeg
    783.8 KB · Views: 94

wolfen

Reaction score
both Methylene Blue and Kanaplex are anti fungal medications that can be used with axolotls quite safely. distilled water has no mineral or salt content which is good for cleaning/adding to antifreeze/use in steam irons etc.. but isn't healthy for aquatic lifeforms or for ingesting because of the lack of minerals/salts, it is safe to drink but only as a part of a balanced diet.
if you are going to use bottled water spring/mineral water is best.
when using distilled water with added minerals/salt it is better then tap because you can control the amount of mineral/salts that the water contains and it also doesn't contain any additional chemicals such as chlorine, fluoride or any heavy metals.

wolfen

Reaction score
Just curious how you know so much about these amazing little creatures?
over 20yrs on and off keeping axolotls, over 40yrs being around aquatics and exotic animals, a lot of trial and error and a lot of reading.

Lyned

Reaction score
over 20yrs on and off keeping axolotls, over 40yrs being around aquatics and exotic animals, a lot of trial and error and a lot of reading.
Hello! Sadly I wanted to update you. The exotic vet examined Sandy and said he was lethargic and had too much internal damage to fully recover. 🥺. He was euthanized on Wednesday. So sad but I can promise nothing like this will ever happen again as they intake is properly covered now. So so sad, but I do appreciate you’re input.

I’m thinking of finding an adult female to house with Speckles unless you think she would be better alone. She’s never been alone before.

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
Hello! Sadly I wanted to update you. The exotic vet examined Sandy and said he was lethargic and had too much internal damage to fully recover. 🥺. He was euthanized on Wednesday. So sad but I can promise nothing like this will ever happen again as they intake is properly covered now. So so sad, but I do appreciate you’re input.

I’m thinking of finding an adult female to house with Speckles unless you think she would be better alone. She’s never been alone before.
Sorry to hear that Sandy didn't make it. :(

Lyned

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Sandy didn't make it. :(
I appreciate that! We are too! :( He was a fighter for sure!

So for our newest addition coming toward the end of the week...would you recommend me adding the modified Holtfreter's solution to the water and would it be good for my healthy axolotl?

Autistic Catholic

Reaction score
I appreciate that! We are too! :( He was a fighter for sure!

So for our newest addition coming toward the end of the week...would you recommend me adding the modified Holtfreter's solution to the water and would it be good for my healthy axolotl?
They literally just made Axolotls legal in my state (August 2021) and I only heard of them about a month ago. I'm mostly here just researching the possibility of starting up an aquarium hobby with amphibians myself so I have not the clue about the answer to your question. Try asking wolfen or AxolotlNerd.

Lyned

Reaction score

wolfen

Reaction score

sorry to hear the bad news

wolfen

Reaction score
it was formulated to keep axolotls healthy, so yes I would recommend it

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!