Sexing Aneides lugubris

Warren Spencer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Could anyone supply any tips on sexing A.lugubris and maybe some related images.
Thanks
Warren

Mature male plethodontids have mental glands.
Mature male plethodontids have papillose cloacal lips [ie rougher in males than females].

By and large in the animal kingdom, males are identified by distinctive features they possess as sexually mature adults. Females are identified by not being sexually mature males [but often the same size or larger]. Among amphibians, mature females will often have eggs or swollen ovaries visible through the abdomen.

Large mature A. lugubris males will often have much larger, wider heads with well developed glands. They are also generally thinner (at least in wild individuals); the head is typically wider than the body.

This site has numerous pictures that show the differences.

Aneides lugubris - Arboreal Salamander

Male Aneides of all species have larger heart shaped heads.

Actually this characteristic is extremely subtle in Aneides aeneus and is not a very good indicator like it is in the western species.

Sexing Aneides is much harder than I would have expected from reading the literature, particularly in young animals.

I agree, sexing A. lugubris can be pretty tricky, especially if they are not fully mature. I have two which are about 2 and 3 years old, even though I have had them for over a month I am not sure what sex they are. My plan is to wait for the fast approaching breeding season and check for a mental gland under the chin. Here is a link for sexing caudates, they have a picture of a mental gland near the bottom:

Caudata Culture Articles - Sexing

Also, in the link provided by otolith, there is a picture of a group of A. lugubris estivating (over the picture of the person bleeding). I believe the large salamander in the lower center is a male, as it has a wide, heart-shaped head. This makes me think both of my specimens are female, as they have much more slender heads, although my 2 year old is most likely too young to determine yet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back