Sexing spanish sharp ribbed newts

J

jake

i have tryed to fined out haw i can sex 5cm juv newts. and i need to do it before i sell the rest of the group there is 8 of them and i want 3 and i need to sex them as fast as i can because i am selling them later today can someone help me. is this possible to do
bowl.gif

At 5 cm???? I seriously doubt it...
You´ll have to wait until they are sub-adults or adults. You may have some trouble sexing them even if they are adults, if they are out of the breeding season, but it´s generally easy once they are adults.
Never heard of anyone being able to sex caudates at such an early age.

It's just not possible, Jake. Try to make an agreement with the person you are selling them to - agreeing to swap one if you end up with all one sex.

Could you tell me how to determine gender in an adult....around 6 years old. Thanks.

This is a very old thread. (2007) You're better of making your own thread, and on your thread, would you please post pictures? Thank you

Females have bigger bodies when full of eggs, males have a more "bulldog" stance with bigger arms and nuptial pads. It's easier to tell the difference between the sexes when you see them together. Post some pics, Inc overhead shots

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back