Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

sexing tenebrosus?

andyoconnor83

Reaction score
I am having a hard time finding any info on the subject and was wondering if their would be a reliable method for sexing terrestrial adults in the field, so as to not collect more than one of either sex. I know the males may fight, and i would not like the idea of removing more than one female from a population no matter how dense it is, but i have a 65 gallon set up and one just doesn't seem enough and i wouldn't be thinking of mixing and putting anything else in with them.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not certain but there might be legal issues regarding the collection of these guys. I'm afraid I can't help you with the sexing but I know there are people here who can. Good luck.

andyoconnor83

Reaction score
i know there are legal issues, regardless of collecting i would like to know for note keeping. california allows up to 4 with a fishing liscence. Oregon I am not sure of collecting. and washington bans all non-game hunting or collecting and doesn't offer a reptile or amphibian collection permit to the public. thanks for the luck though!

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Well when FW comes calling, good luck proving you didn't collect them in Washington ;(.

andyoconnor83

Reaction score
point taken ;)

I don't plan on collecting any time soon so I am not too worried. I just like to keep accurate field notes on what i photograph and I noticed most of my caudates are unsexed as far as id goes.

AquaticEngineer

Reaction score
Here's what I've found about Oregons laws regarding amphibian collecting.
Found all this on the ODFW website:
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/swwd/classification.pdf

UNPROTECTED WILDIFE
This Group includes native wildlife species that are not classified as "game animals" or "protected wildlife”. Unprotected wildlife may be taken from the wild either dead or alive. Unprotected wildlife taken into captivity must be maintained in a humane manner (OAR 635-44-132). A permit is required to release or relocate any unprotected wildlife into the wild.
*It is unlawful to "hunt, trap, pursue, kill, take, catch, angle for, or have in possession, either dead or alive, whole or in part" any protected species (OAR 635-44-130)

PROTECTED WILDLIFE*
All T&E amphibians and:
Cope's giant salamander
Clouded salamander
Black salamander
California slender salamander
Oregon slender salamander
Del Norte salamander
Larch Mountain salamander
Siskiyou Mountain salamander
Tailed frog
Red-legged frog
Foothill yellow-legged
Cascade frog
Northern leopard frog
Spotted frog
Southern seep salamander
Columbia seep salamander
Cascade seep salamander
Western toad
Woodhouse toad
Blotched tiger salamander
Looks like I'm good to go as long as I'm not taking any of the above amphibians :D All I have currently are 3 Pacific Tree frogs, and a Taricha granulosa.

huug

Reaction score
Is there anyone who can anwser the question?
I would love to be able know a female from a male too....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!