Shedding slime coat

Lotlmom2

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My female axolotl is shedding her slime coat and i have no idea why!
My water parameters are fine, I've been testing more often at the moment and I also took a sample to get tested.
My male axolotl in the same tank is perfectly fine.
Shes still eating and pooping. I notice today her back is arched.
I've been doing daily water changes to be sure everything is clean.
Should I separate her? Any advice would help.
20210407_172424.jpg

Attachments

• 20210406_144208.jpg
    20210406_144208.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh man, that doesn't look good. I would separate her for the time being. I don't know what could be causing that, sorry. Has there been any improvement?

Lotlmom2

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Unfortunately no. When I took her out of the tank it did notice her belly was the worse. I recently changed my substrate im wondering if she's having an allergic reception maybe to the new sand, if thats even possible? (Its a black sand)
Times are financially tough right now, I'm working a few extra shifts to hopefully get her to the vet this week. I'm so upset I can't do anything for her right now, I've had her for 3 years shes like family at this point

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately no. When I took her out of the tank it did notice her belly was the worse. I recently changed my substrate im wondering if she's having an allergic reception maybe to the new sand, if thats even possible? (Its a black sand)
Times are financially tough right now, I'm working a few extra shifts to hopefully get her to the vet this week. I'm so upset I can't do anything for her right now, I've had her for 3 years shes like family at this point
i’m so sorry lovely

EasternRomioi3

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is she now in a tank with no sand at all? I didn't think of an allergic reaction. Please keep us informed. I hope she recovers soon.

Lotlmom2

Reaction score
Country
Canada
She is, she was looking better yesterday but tonight when I went to check on her it looked the same as before. Hopefully heading to the vet on Friday

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ArpTheAxolotl: gender* +1