Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shipping costs?

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
I have been looking at amphibians online and I noticed all their shipping costs are around $49 ... how much does it usually cost to ship an animal bought from this site?

tigmades

Reaction score
Depends on several factors:
- company used to ship
- distance they're shipped
- size of package
- weight of package

For my 6 1.5" Juveniles and eggs it cost $52 shipping 1 province (~24h drive) away

tigmades

Reaction score
If you're curious, go to UPS or the like and check shipping costs. If you want to se ehow much it will cost, I can give you my box dimensions and weight so you can get an estimate. If I had gotten 1 axies instead, it wouldn't have made much of an impact due to the need of proper packing.

Weight of package: 2kg
Package dimensions: 11" x 7.5" x 8".

Look at the for sale area, find someone selling, look at where they live and use that city to estimate shipping costs from them :)

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
thanks :) i just want to know potential costs if i cant find anything locally

FX1C

Reaction score
Shipping isn't something you can skimp on given that you're shipping a live animal. you want to keep the time packaged up & transported (stressful)
to an absolute minimum.
It's not like you can chose ordinary mail instead of express services ;)

<3 >o_o< <3

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
i never said i would skimp but online companies ARE known to rip people off ... i refuse to use anything but overnight if i ever bought live animals online

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
overnight shipping runs around 35-40 dollars. Add in a styrofoam lined box and heat/ice pack and you are close to 45-50 depending on the size and weight of the box

twistedfisher

Reaction score
i ship quite a bit(30-50 boxes/month) and if properly packaged priority is just as effective as express

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
For salamanders I ship only by express mail. I usually charge 35.00 per order for ones that don't need to be shipped in water. For orders of lots of axolotls it is a little more. I will ship eggs by priority but don't give as good of a hatch guarantee.

twistedfisher

Reaction score
as effective asovernight?

what animals do you ship?

Fish
inverts
coral
live rock
all kinds of things and have shipped newts, axys, sally the same way

bear in mine i have been shipping for over 25 years and got a tip or 15 under my hat :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1