Shoud I move my male over?

kjnorman

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have two axoltol tanks - one with a single 3 year old female, and one with two juveniles who are siblings.

I got the juveniles at the same time and they were the same size - one has turned out to be male and the other female. The male has grown faster than the female, although both are old enough now to breed.

The single female is about 9-10 inches long and fairly burly. The male is about 8 inches long and skinny. The smaller female who is currently in with him is about 6 inches long.

I'd like to move the male over to the other tank with the older female but I'm concerned that the size difference may be too great. They are both very active & heathy and similar in temperment and activity level, and I would be interested in raising eggs they might produce.

The flip side is keeping the male in with his sister but I worry about her because she is smaller and not as robust and I don't want the extra strain of laying eggs on her while she is still growing.

Unfortunately space concerns make it difficult to set up a third tank to keep them all separate - although I might be able to move one to my office eventually.

My thinking is that the male and the older female are better matched than the male and the younger female- any thoughts from you find folks?

You could always put the two females together...with a divider til the younger one catches up.....unless you specifically want to breed them

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back