Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I Be Cycling?

CortAndCat

Reaction score
Hi, I have quite a few questions in regards to "cycling" the water in my axolotl's tank. But first I will describe how the tank is setup. The tank holds 10 gallons (we fill it to 7), there is no substrate inside the tank. The tank itself holds a beta log, a fake plant (NO REAL PLANTS), a fake rock display, a real rock, and two filters all of which are set up so he has places to hide. The filters are kept on low air flow, with the pressure controlled by air valves attached to the hosing. Both filters are supplied by a single air pump. The axolotl is fed bloodworms twice a day with appropriate portions, once half an hour has passed all excess food is removed. The tank is also frequently cleared of bodily waste. Every other day half of the water is changed out and treated with Prime. The filters are changed on a bi-weekly basis. When the filters are changed, all items in the tank are removed and cleaned accordingly.

I've described the routine I use to maintain the tank, now I'll describe the axolotl. The axolotl is nearly 4 inches in length, he's about three months old, I adopted him a little over a month ago, and so far everything's been great for the most part. Today, however, I noticed him floating with his back end tilted upward. I tried to see if he would nibble my finger (he usually does) if I moved it about in front of him and he noticed but he was very sluggish and not his usual energetic self. This is concerning. He also has grumpy gills and I can't figure out why. His tank is at 60ish degrees where he is most comfortable and he is kept in a dark corner of the apartment.

On another note it seems like the water in the tank gets cloudy extremely fast. Like it has a red-brownish tint.

Is cycling required for the health of the axolotl even though there aren't any living plants or tank mates with him? The person who set me up at the pet store never mentioned cycling and said that all of the products sold to me would have been sufficient until he was an adult. Unfortunately I don't know when he is considered an adult.

Are the filters the problem? The first filter I was sold seemed to be for a smaller tank (beta sized) but I didn't question it because not only am I new to this but the pet store lady said that the current would greatly stress the little guy out. So, when the water wasn't getting clean I went back and talked to someone else who set me up with a second filter and air flow valves to control the current. My axolotl sat in the corner with the new filter and stared at it for two days but then went back to his usual cute, happy self.

Do I need a water testing device even though I haven't been cycling?

What do you guys suggest I do? Where I start?

Springlizard

Reaction score
If you have had the axolotol for a month the tank already should be cycled , I would just keep up with the water changes. Or you could try moving to a new tank but then you will have to change the water everyday for all of it .

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
A cycled tank is a healthy tank, giving your Axolotl a safe environment.

You should purchase the API FreshWater Master Test Kit, then you can test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrAte and PH.

I would expect your tank is not cycled if you are changing the water every other day and then cleanin all the ornaments and cleaning the filters, all this stops the nitrogen cycle from even starting or would kill any beneficial bacteria that does begin to develop.

You should read up on the nitrogen cycle so you can begin to cycle your tank. It is best to perform a 'fish-less cycled' so your Axolotl is not harmed by any anmonia or nitrite during cycling since these are toxic and cause stress.

Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

CortAndCat

Reaction score
Oh my god! I'm killing Abe!

So, cycling is natural I'm just totally messing it up. Got it!

Thank you for your help! :D

Dell

Reaction score
I have a small (3 inch) axo in a 10 gallon and I do a 80% to 90% every day. I test the ammonia twice a day and it rises fast. I would leave the filter media and everything else alone and change your water everyday. Get some test kits as mentioned above so you can at least know where you are in your cycle. Right now your just guessing.

Buyaxolotls

Reaction score
Honestly, I think 7 gal is way too small for one axie. They get the tank dirty FAST. if you've been running the filter at least 4 weeks your tank shod be cycled. However, even cycled tanks will need frequent water changes to maintain good water quality. It sounds like with your bioload you should be doing water changes every other day, about 25%.
Hi, I have quite a few questions in regards to "cycling" the water in my axolotl's tank. But first I will describe how the tank is setup. The tank holds 10 gallons (we fill it to 7), there is no substrate inside the tank. The tank itself holds a beta log, a fake plant (NO REAL PLANTS), a fake rock display, a real rock, and two filters all of which are set up so he has places to hide. The filters are kept on low air flow, with the pressure controlled by air valves attached to the hosing. Both filters are supplied by a single air pump. The axolotl is fed bloodworms twice a day with appropriate portions, once half an hour has passed all excess food is removed. The tank is also frequently cleared of bodily waste. Every other day half of the water is changed out and treated with Prime. The filters are changed on a bi-weekly basis. When the filters are changed, all items in the tank are removed and cleaned accordingly.

I've described the routine I use to maintain the tank, now I'll describe the axolotl. The axolotl is nearly 4 inches in length, he's about three months old, I adopted him a little over a month ago, and so far everything's been great for the most part. Today, however, I noticed him floating with his back end tilted upward. I tried to see if he would nibble my finger (he usually does) if I moved it about in front of him and he noticed but he was very sluggish and not his usual energetic self. This is concerning. He also has grumpy gills and I can't figure out why. His tank is at 60ish degrees where he is most comfortable and he is kept in a dark corner of the apartment.

On another note it seems like the water in the tank gets cloudy extremely fast. Like it has a red-brownish tint.

Is cycling required for the health of the axolotl even though there aren't any living plants or tank mates with him? The person who set me up at the pet store never mentioned cycling and said that all of the products sold to me would have been sufficient until he was an adult. Unfortunately I don't know when he is considered an adult.

Are the filters the problem? The first filter I was sold seemed to be for a smaller tank (beta sized) but I didn't question it because not only am I new to this but the pet store lady said that the current would greatly stress the little guy out. So, when the water wasn't getting clean I went back and talked to someone else who set me up with a second filter and air flow valves to control the current. My axolotl sat in the corner with the new filter and stared at it for two days but then went back to his usual cute, happy self.

Do I need a water testing device even though I haven't been cycling?

What do you guys suggest I do? Where I start?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1