Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Should I get a tank mate for my axolotl, and is my tank too small for two?

HamletTheAxolotl<3

Reaction score
Hello fellow axolotl enthusiasts! I'm a new axolotl owner and I've been wanting to add an additional axolotl to my 26 gallon bowfront tank. The axolotl that I have now is about 6-7 inches long and I'm pretty sure it's a male, but I'm still nervous to add another as I don't want baby axolotls or cannibalism. I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but the internet has given some very contradictory answers and I'm a little confused. I'm hoping to get some helpful opinions and criticism from experienced axolotl owners. Thank you!

Axolotl Queen

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb for tank size is 20 gallon for 1 and an additional 10 gallon for each additional axolotl.
I personally have 3 axolotls in a 4ft x 2ft tank. Just keep in mind they dont need the depth but need a large floor space. I would recommend having extra hides and possibly sourcing a live food source such as bloodworms to keep in the tank so they can eat whenever, alongside a main meal to avoid them trying to eat one another. It is recommended that you get them all in the same gender and size.

HamletTheAxolotl<3

Reaction score
The general rule of thumb for tank size is 20 gallon for 1 and an additional 10 gallon for each additional axolotl.
I personally have 3 axolotls in a 4ft x 2ft tank. Just keep in mind they dont need the depth but need a large floor space. I would recommend having extra hides and possibly sourcing a live food source such as bloodworms to keep in the tank so they can eat whenever, alongside a main meal to avoid them trying to eat one another. It is recommended that you get them all in the same gender and size.
Thank you! You've provided some really good points and I will definitely keep them in mind. This helped alot!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1