Should i really be doing water changes and using a filter?

Yevgeniy matsay

Reaction score
Country
Ukraine
Display Name
Yevgeniy matsay
Hello guys. I owe one firebelly newt in a five gallon tank. it has a couple of plants but not planted in the sand but into little cups. he has a filter pump that goes through a biological and chemical filtration. I have heard people take an empty tank put a bottom layer of soil and plant the plants and put gravel over, but you have to make sure its heaveliy planted. then fill with water and put your newt in and your never have to do water changes. im really intrested in this and im just asking if people had experience with this method, because I really want to do this. should I? do i still have to water changes? do i have to use a turkey baster to siphone any poop out or the plants use it as nutrients? same thing for left over food will i have to siphone that out? Thanks!

-Yevgeniy :kill:

You always have to do some water changes but with the right set-up they are small and far between.
The use of filters is not advisable for Hypselotriton orientalis, particularly in such an overly small tank as yours.

Ok thanks but if i use the method with heavily Panlanted aquarium with soil will i have to turkey haster the poop and leftover food? THanks.

-yevgeniy :kill:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back