Photo: Shredded/Infected Looking Tail?

slaar

Reaction score
Country
United States
CW: for pics that are pretty grisly looking imo.

I think first and foremost my main question is if this looks more like an accidently self-inflicted physical injury, or if it resembles any kind of flesh eating disease?

Tank temp is currently sitting around 64°F/18°C.

I know last Wednesday the 6th he was fine, but I got sick over the weekend and he's been staying holed up in his flowerpot during the day so I didn't find this until tonight when I fed him. He took the nightcrawler with no problem, so he has an appetite, but as I was giving it to him I was close enough to see the white looking stuff and know something was wrong.

If it's any help, when the worm was wiggling around it got some of the stuff stuck to it, and since I thought it could be fungus a quickly tried to wipe it from the worm not wanting it to be ingested. But obviously upon nudging him out of hiding to look, this doesnt seem like a normal fungal infection.

But it also doesn't look like any injury he's gotten before either, the last time his tail got snagged it more resembled a clean rip. The fact I can see what look like the bones of his tail almost made me cry. The only thing he could've caught himself is some driftwood, but it's never happened before.

If this looks at all familiar to anybody I'd love suggestions so I know what I should be doing for him, I'd be so grateful!

I'll try to check him in the morning before work and get another picture if it looks any different.

Attachments

• 20220412_222702.jpg
    20220412_222702.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 299
  • 20220412_222624.jpg
    20220412_222624.jpg
    771.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

I think first and foremost my main question is if this looks more like an accidently self-inflicted physical injury, or if it resembles any kind of flesh eating disease?

I know last Wednesday the 6th he was fine, but I got sick over the weekend and he's been staying holed up in his flowerpot during the day so I didn't find this until tonight when I fed him. He took the nightcrawler with no problem, so he has an appetite, but as I was giving it to him I was close enough to see the white looking stuff and know something was wrong.

If it's any help, when the worm was wiggling around it got some of the stuff stuck to it, and since I thought it could be fungus a quickly tried to wipe it from the worm not wanting it to be ingested. But obviously upon nudging him out of hiding to look, this doesnt seem like a normal fungal infection.

But it also doesn't look like any injury he's gotten before either, the last time his tail got snagged it more resembled a clean rip. The fact I can see what look like the bones of his tail almost made me cry. The only thing he could've caught himself is some driftwood, but it's never happened before.

If this looks at all familiar to anybody I'd love suggestions so I know what I should be doing for him, I'd be so grateful!

I'll try to check him in the morning before work and get another picture if it looks any different.
Go to a vet asap, thats all i can tell you as i am not experienced in axolotl wounds.

go to Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander read how to use holtfreters solution under 'requirements' and also treatments under 'health'

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back