Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Siamese Algae Eaters and Axolotls

Binditheaxolotl

Reaction score
I’ve had a problem with yellowish brownish algae on my glass for a little while now, no matter how many times I scrape it off with an old credit card, it always comes back even though my room is in low light. Can I get algae eaters of some sort? My local and petsmart and petco have false and regular Siamese algae eaters. They stay about minnow size and I don’t believe they have spines. Could I get a couple to eat the algae off the glass? They are also quick so it would be harder for my axolotl get catch them.

MnGuy

Reaction score
They’re known for being aggressive with other fish so I wouldn’t risk it with an axolotl.

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Nope - no fish clean up crews are safe, no snails. Shrimp like ghost and cherry only. Other than guppies and livebearers of course.

You have an imbalance in nutrients - I'd say more water changes to get rid of the nutrients the algae is feeding off of

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1