Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sibling Size Comparison

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I have several groups of siblings where some have become aquatic and some have remained terrestrial. It seems we often comment on this forum on how Cynops/ Hypselotriton species grow so much faster once they return to an aquatic environment. Here are some pictures to testify to that!

These first images are orientalis siblings that are about 3 years old. Some of this sibling group returned to the water of their own volition around September 2011 and have been living with their parents in a fully aquatic set up since then. The rest of this sibling group have decided they don't like the water and are living in a plastic shoe box with damp paper towels. The aquatic sibling shown below is round from eggs, while I do not know the sex of the terrestrial sibling.

Attachments

• 100_1681.jpg
    100_1681.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 412
  • 100_1682.jpg
    100_1682.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 411

jewett

Site Contributor
Reaction score
And these images are from a sibling group of popei I raised from eggs about 4 years ago. Two animals decided about 3 months ago they wanted to go back in the water, so I placed the whole group in a 10 gallon tank 3/4 filled with lots of floating plants and water, but still had a large floating island. I was hoping the rest of the siblings would decide to become aquatic, too, once they saw how much fun the other two were having swimming around but alas, they refused and forced my hand to remove their floating paradise about 10 days ago. They have acclimated well once they had nothing to completely haul out on. I wonder how long until the newbie aquatics catch up in size to the two aquatic pioneers...

Attachments

• 100_1685.jpg
    100_1685.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_1686.jpg
    100_1686.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 377
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1