Sick and hungry axolotl looking for advice

nerdybirds73

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I have to axolotl who is almost two years old and for the past few weeks we have been having a LOT of trouble with her health. I wont go into full detail because it would make this thread very long but we have treated most of the problems only to have one final step witch is getting her to eat again. She has not eaten in weeks and she is staring to get very skinny. I have tried blood worms, earthworms, and wax worms but she is refusing to eat all of them. I try just leaving them in her tank or just dangling them in front of her but she shows no interest at all. She is not constipated or impacted and her water temp and everything in normal so im really not sure what to do now and im afraid i might have to force feed her but i really dont want it to come to that. Any tips or ticks that could possibly get her to eat? Please help if you can and i will gladly provide more information if necessary.

Hello I have to axolotl who is almost two years old and for the past few weeks we have been having a LOT of trouble with her health. I wont go into full detail because it would make this thread very long but we have treated most of the problems only to have one final step witch is getting her to eat again. She has not eaten in weeks and she is staring to get very skinny. I have tried blood worms, earthworms, and wax worms but she is refusing to eat all of them. I try just leaving them in her tank or just dangling them in front of her but she shows no interest at all. She is not constipated or impacted and her water temp and everything in normal so im really not sure what to do now and im afraid i might have to force feed her but i really dont want it to come to that. Any tips or ticks that could possibly get her to eat? Please help if you can and i will gladly provide more information if necessary.
Will u list parameters and temperature? Along with dechlorinator? I would order some repashy grub pie, it tastes amazing, better than worms to them, and fridge her until it comes. They don’t have it off amazon, but they have it on chewy for 11 bucks. If she doesn’t eat the repashy, you will have to force feed.

The best I find with getting my surrenders going again are...

live blackworms - leave a small amount in always
thawed raw salmon - small pieces
repashy grub pie - small pieces

Feed small amounts and frequently is way better than trying for a big meal

Additionally: most aquarium/pet stores sell bags filled with daphnia. Artemia, live blood worms or even mosquito larvae also work.

They're too small to offer much nutritional value, but the advantage is that you can tub the axolotl in a small tub and put a million daphnia in there. Like, the axolotl only has to open its mouth and the food will swim in.

It won't feed them, but I've seen it trigger the feeding instinct for stressed, sick or exhausted axolotls before. Once they've realised eating is fun again they can be much easier to feed with actually nutritional food. Worth a try.

Thank you all for the advice and im going to order some repashy grub pie for her along with some sinking salmon pellets but in the mean time i will try different ways of feeding like smaller pieces as well as many differnt kinds of food. also i use prime water declorinater, her water temp is normally between 62 and 68 (it changes one to two degrees because she is tubbed so i have to do water changed) the ammonia is always at zero but i dont normally test the water when she is tubbed because then i would have to do it everyday but i would be glad to test it if that would help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back