Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Mud Puppy

timsastrid

Reaction score
Hello..... I sort of aquired 2 Mud Puppies recently and do not know a thing about their upkeep. It turns out that one of them has some white blisterlike spots on the top of his/hers ?? head. There is some listlessness and staying at the top of the tank rather then on the bottom like the other seemingly healthy Puppy. They are currently located in a large concrete minnow tank (together with a bunch of minnows and creek chubs) there is a filter system for the tank and several aerators. The room is kept at about 60 F and the Water Temp is about 55 degrees. Some information or feedback would be very much appreciated. (they are sold for fish bait around here but that is not what their purpose is with me. I really like them and want them to be happy and comfortable). Please advise.....

JessKB

Reaction score
Hi there, and welcome to the forum.

Firstly, are you certain that the animal you have is actually a mudpuppy (necturus maculosus)? larva tiger salamanders are often sold for bait and are often called mudpuppies or waterdogs.

Here is a care sheet on the Mudpuppy
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Necturus maculosus

Here is the tiger salamander. Take a good look at the pictures of the larvae so you can determine which of these two species you have.
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Tiger salamander

Whichever species you have, the animals are stressed out from capture, shipping, transfer to their new homes, and the minnows in their tanks. Is it possible for you to set up a tank separate from the bait fish?

If you can get a picture it will help us immensely in recommending what you do next.

timsastrid

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response. I am sure it is a mud puppy. The description fits.
Unfortunately it looks like a fungal infection due to stress. Today he didn't look good at all.
I cannot set up another tank but since the other one seems fine it may be OK.
I exchanged the water today added a bucket of mud and some anti stress tank additive. Maybe it'll work.... I sure hope so.... thanks again. The information sheets helped tremendously. I hate to think my uninformed stupidity caused this....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1