Sick newt?

albear28

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Corey
I have Eastern newt what looks like if it were a fish "ick" on it's tail. I've had it for about two weeks and it's eating it's tail away. Is there anything I can do to save this little guy. I went to my local pet store and they told me to "sufamide". Any suggestions?

Hi albear28.
This link is about axolotl health rather than newts, but it does list safe and unsafe aquatic medicines, which I would guess would be the same or similar for newts.
Axolotls - Health & Diseases
I'm also guessing that the pet store were indicating a general treatment. From the list of safe medications I would guess at the Tetra sulfa-bath, which is a treatment for fungal infections in reptiles and amphibians. It would be worth trying that.
If you need to contact a vet here is another link. Herp Veterinarians
Best of luck and please keep us posted.

We would need to see a picture before we can give any meaningful advice, but if these are the eastern newts that live in the bottom of a tree frog vivarium in 78F water it's chance of recovery is close to zero.
There have been thousands of Eastern newts imported into Europe over the years and the vast majority, died within a few months, even when given the correct care. The reason for this is thought to be exposure tropical temperatures during importation.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back