Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick or just not hungry?

melgado22

Reaction score
My adult salamanders have been doing very well over all.. I've been feeding red wigglers and they seem to like them ok... At least one does. One of them can eat 5 (probably more if I let her..) the other only takes two and seems to reject it after that. Is that normal? I can't imagine these little worms are filling him up that fast.

sde

Reaction score
How big is it? How often are you feeding it? It is hard to answer that question if we don't know those things :)
Also, red wigglers are sometime rejected by salamanders, try earthworms or night crawlers instead, you may get a different feeding response.

melgado22

Reaction score
He's abour 6 " tail included, I feed them every Sunday and Wednesday. I'm kind of a weenie about the idea of cutting up the earth worms... That was the only reason I went for the wigglerrs. But I will gladly do it for their health of I have to *wince* lol

sde

Reaction score
I think he is probably just getting full. Sometimes they just don't want as much. He should look "plump", if that helps any. You want them to have a bit of a belly, just not obese.

melgado22

Reaction score
I'm sorry, I don't know why I assumed everyone knew.. Tiger salamanders.

I fed them a sliver of raw salmon (just to see..) and they both took it gratefully. I think the one doesn't like wigglers like earlier suggested. They both look good as far as weight, not too round, just healthy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1