Side effects of using woodlouse(isopods) as food

k.em

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Hello I am a person who has some salamanders. I wrote because I was curious about the side effects of feeding woodlouse, that is, isopods. There is an opinion in some communities that eating isopods too often can cause stones in the body and should not be given as a staple food. What do you think? I'm giving it alternately between freezer bugs and cramps.
However, I'm going to eat crickets after starving for a few days. What do you think?

I use a lot of dwarf isopods and Porcellinoides pruinosis for salamander food. I haven't noticed any problems.

I honestly would not recommend using crickets because all the problems they cause like parasites and infections.

isopods have no problem, they are crustaceans (like crabs), they have calcium shells, not keratin, calcium can be broken down, as well as the sal can fit the iso in its mouth it can eat it.

I use a lot of dwarf isopods and Porcellinoides pruinosis for salamander food. I haven't noticed any problems.
Don't you need to worry about the difference in the ratio of calcium and phosphorus in the woodlouse?

isopods have no problem, they are crustaceans (like crabs), they have calcium shells, not keratin, calcium can be broken down, as well as the sal can fit the iso in its mouth it can eat it.
Don't you need to worry about the difference in the ratio of calcium and phosphorus in the woodlouse?

if you balance it out with other feeders, it can be a staple
It mainly feeds woodlouse, but recently I'm trying to give them frozen blood worm and super leptomin. Salamanders don't eat leptomin well, so from now on, I'm not giving anything before except leptomin. When they start eating leptomin, then they try to mix and give the two mentioned (frozen blood worm, and woodlouse) before. Can I do this?

It mainly feeds woodlouse, but recently I'm trying to give them frozen blood worm and super leptomin. Salamanders don't eat leptomin well, so from now on, I'm not giving anything before except leptomin. When they start eating leptomin, then they try to mix and give the two mentioned (frozen blood worm, and woodlouse) before. Can I do this?
I'm not sure, sorry but I can really help you with this one good luck.

i've had mine for 3 years, but like to do research, so my information isn't from experience (sorry) just knowledge I've gathered, it may be wrong, but I'm always looking to help, try DM'ing @Herpin Man he is good with isopods.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back