• WIN VIP NARBC TICKETS!!! Guest Click here to enter - it's free and easy.

Size of 5 month old axoloti

Nan ann

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi every one can anyone tell me what size a 5 month old baby axoloti should be wild type

Liz Roome

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 3 /4 inches I would have thought, they all grow at different rates, I have axies born at the same time and they are different sizes.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
Depends where you got it from. You can get tiny 2" babies at 5 months from some poorly maintained tanks in pet shops, or you can get 6-7" juvies from breeders. 4-5" is a good size.

ladygodiva35

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Cyn
Mine were around 6 inches at 5 months. I have a 7 month and 6 month old axies who are nearing 8 inches now. So amazing how the younger one caught up in growth so fast with the older one.

usafaux2004

Reaction score
Country
United States
Closing in on 7 months, mine are 6.5-8.5". The dad is at about a year and 2-3 months and nearing 12". Mom is only about 10".

The 8.5" one is a wildtype with white toes...IIRC that implied sexual maturity?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Country
England
The 8.5" one is a wildtype with white toes...IIRC that implied sexual maturity?

No, it's a myth (and a popular and much-repeated one at that!).

My 4 month albinos have black toe tips, thier wildtype siblings have white. Nowhere near maturity. I think at best you could describe the toe tip colour changes as the transition from juvenile to sub-adult, or from child to adolescent.

Age is the most accurate assessor of maturity.

lizawalker

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a five month old axolotl, and she’s not even close to six inches! I think she might have growing issues. Shes only 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch longer than she was at three weeks. And I got her from a good breeder!

Eoin OD

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Mine is 5 months old now an he’s only 3 inches. I got him at 4 months and I haven’t noticed a significant change I think he may have growing issues.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jasper2021:
    We have an axolotl called Jasper who is approx 3 years old. He was being attacked by his companion so we separated them. He has healed his wounds now but has got very thin. his lips have turned black. he was just looking still and dead at times but ears moved so we knew he was still alive. Hold earthworms right in front of him which after some time he will take you think good he is eating but then it pops straight out again. At the moment he is in the fridge. Not sure what else to do if he can't or won't eat !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    Hi Jasper 2021,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give off an awful taste - have you tried live river shrimp? Mine really like these and are always happy to 'bite' - I also give them live crickets and pellets which are really pungeant in smell and they always take these - even wait at the glass for them! So sorry to hear he was being attacked by his companion!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MelissaKenyon:
    Hi, just wondering if anyone could help with our axy, she absolutely loves her food and we've notice tonight after her worms( that she ate in one mouthful) that she ue was struggling to get up to the top for air. She's never done this before, she usually goes up every 5-10 mins or so. She is 6 months old and seems very healthy. Could it be a problem with our water level or water quality or could she just be to full?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    ^ axie owner advised me to get some IAL, I’m working on sourcing some for my baby.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    wendtdale has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Would fish medicine made from IAL be alright or are leaves more ideal?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Dustinaguilar has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
    Chat Bot: Dustinaguilar has left the room. +1