Size Question

angelas001

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've had my axolotl since February, when he was very small and didn't have fully developed limbs (you can see in my profile picture), and now it's April and he's about 2.75inches. I was wondering if this is a normal growth rate? I assumed he'd be bigger by now. He eats bloodworms once a day, and has a pellet once a week, with occasional ghost/brine shrimp young. He's had no problems eating and bites at anything in his tub. Temperatures are good too, at about 68-70F.

So I've had my axolotl since February, when he was very small and didn't have fully developed limbs (you can see in my profile picture), and now it's April and he's about 2.75inches. I was wondering if this is a normal growth rate? I assumed he'd be bigger by now. He eats bloodworms once a day, and has a pellet once a week, with occasional ghost/brine shrimp young. He's had no problems eating and bites at anything in his tub. Temperatures are good too, at about 68-70F.
some comparison pictures could be helpful?

Of course, there are 3 from today (near the blue cup), and one from February (1st one)

Attachments

• 1618255249052.png
    1618255249052.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 111
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 88
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    916.1 KB · Views: 96
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
Just some advice on axolotl diets- I've heard/read that bloodworms aren't really a good staple food. Blackworms and cut red wigglers or nightcrawlers are supposed to be very healthy though. Salmon pellets are also good to feed them along with live food. My juvenile axolotl is a little over 4 inches and has around 4-6 salmon pellets one day and a red wiggler cut into four pieces the next day. Yours would probably eat fewer pellets and need the worm cut into smaller pieces.

I don't want to criticize you or anything here, but if your axolotl is only about 2.75 inches you probably shouldn't have it on sand. I was told to wait until 4-5 inches or larger, just so you know. :)

About your size question- I've read that axolotls grow about an inch a month in their first year of life. However, temperature can affect this. Warmer temperatures, such as your tank, can speed up the growth rate and metabolism of the axolotl. I have a juvenile axolotl as well. I received it in early February and it was just barely shy of 3 inches. It is now over 4 inches, if that helps. I have a subadult as well, and he's just over 8 inches now. The man I bought him from though kept his axolotls in very cold water though, so my axolotl is probably well over a year old and on the smaller side. He was around 7 inches when I got him in late December 2020.

Also, axolotls generally prefer temperatures of 60-64 Fahrenheit. I've been told that anything above 68 is too high, so you may want to be careful with it getting much warmer. I understand it's especially difficult to keep things chilly with the warmer weather though.

Last edited:
Of course! Thank you, I don't keep him on sand though I see how it looks :) He's tubbed in my aquarium (taped to the side) to keep temperatures even. I was told bloodworms were good for a young axolotl from multiple sources so thank you! He has salmon pellets that he eats about 3-4 a day when I do feed them. I'll where I can buy some red wigglers soon!

Of course! Thank you, I don't keep him on sand though I see how it looks :) He's tubbed in my aquarium (taped to the side) to keep temperatures even. I was told bloodworms were good for a young axolotl from multiple sources so thank you! He has salmon pellets that he eats about 3-4 a day when I do feed them. I'll where I can buy some red wigglers soon!
Sounds good! :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back