Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skin-eating Asian fungus imperils world's salamanders

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's hope this is the beginning of the end for the mass imports of Asian species. Even regulating the imports in some way would hopefully drive the prices of the animals up and make people think twice before they buy them to toss in with the tropical fish to die.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I heard about this on the news this morning, I also saw something on frogforum about it a couple of weeks back. It's really worrying, I certainly hope it doesn't spread far. Although I realis it may well do so.

Stuart

velasco13000

Reaction score
Perhaps we might be able to discover how to treat the fungus, we have been figuring out how to fight Ebola , why can't we also try to discover a cure for this fungus?

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It could be simple to treat like Chytridiomycosis, it's the impossibility's of treating wild populations for these infections that makes them so deadly.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Essentially, it IS chytridiomycosis. It's in the same genus, and thus has very similar biology. Odds are that, while detection and victim profiles are different, treatment will be similar. B.dendrobatidis, for example, only seems to be infectious at a certain population density, and it is consumed by Daphnia.

What's especially interesting is that 1) B.dendrobatidis now seems to have a much longer history and possibly originated outside Africa. There are at least two old lineages from Brazil, and others from Asia. 2) B.salamandrivorans originally tested negative in China, but now has an old history as well. It might well have originated elsewhere or have an older and wider distribution. There's really no reason for it to not be native to Europe or Africa as well.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chytrid was blamed for the massive decline in Rana temporaria here in the UK, but they are starting to turn up again in the places that saw huge losses. Do you think this is because a certain percentage of the population already had a natural immunity to it?

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Chytrid was blamed for the massive decline in Rana temporaria here in the UK, but they are starting to turn up again in the places that saw huge losses. Do you think this is because a certain percentage of the population already had a natural immunity to it?

I think it's highly possible. I know links to other forums are frowned upon, please forgive me, but there is a very similar conversation going on in the amphibian section of reptileforums: Reality check - Reptile Forums

Jari B

Reaction score
I found some dead Salamandra salamandra terrestris in Belgium near one of the chytrid hot spots. It's horrible to see and feel so helpless for these poor animals. This particular area had many firesalamanders when I was a little kid. Now there are almost none. I found 3 death animals within 2 meters away from each other. The animals were sent to the univeristy of Gent in Belgium. The test results came up negative but it's probably a false negative because the animals were dead for a little while. I heard that's that area is being monitored well now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!