Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Skin feeding video and paper

is skin feeding that alien a concept? Do we mammals have anything similar?

• NO that's gross!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • coprophagy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

paris

Reaction score
I know it looks harsh when the babies are feeding, but they shed every 3 days anyways-so its dead skin. The only thing it costs the mother is fat reserves because she converts her bodyfat somehow into the shed. There is a paper I found that discusses the fat reserves the females loose in the dens. I didn't know they group den AND will watch other mothers babies. They even mention that they discovered babies from the same mother with multiple fathers. paper is included as attachment.

YouTube - The Caecilian

the site for the paper is here
http://www.bmnh.org/PDFs/AK_08_skin.pdf

Attachments

• AK_08_skin.pdf
    169.4 KB · Views: 815

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Remember in Goldmember when that Dutch guy keeps eating his own skin? I think they were peeling off of his modified sweat glands.

stavroske

Reaction score
mammary glands, which produce milk, are frequently considered to be modified sweat glands. (wikipedia)

The skin feeding is actually the same as giving mothermilk as we mammals do. A human mother gives fat to her baby by putting her own fat into the milk.
Another similar thing is the way women gives there bower flora to a baby while giving birth .A humanbaby gets born without bower flora. At the moment of birth the human ****** contains a substance with a lot of bacteria that are necessary for the baby to build it's own bower flora. This substance will go into the baby mouth anyway... Without (eating?) this substance, the baby won't get a good immunity.
Gross?? No, it's just nature...

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
1st time I saw that I was amazed. Awesome how fast the mother grows her skin back. Seems stressful on the mothers body makes me wonder how often Caecilians breed.

trincan

Reaction score
I hope that women who find breast-feeding repulsive rethink thier stance upon seeing this clip!

Very interesting, indeed!

NewtZoo

Reaction score
Frogs eat their own skin all the time. But I have never seen a tadpole eat its parents skin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!