Skin peeling off under chin and around mouth

AxilaMa

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would be very grateful for some advice on how to cure my pet. His skin is peeling and I don't know why, and I don't know how to help him. As I believe it has to do with his tank, I removed him and I'm currently keeping him in a smaller tank where I can monitor the water quality more closely. I have seen him open his mouth but he won't eat. Thank you

286700263_3209350949393062_6037466212874269987_n.jpg

what are the water parameters/conditions ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hard/soft water, every bit of information helps.
are there any other inhabitants in the tank?
read Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
use holtfreters or one of the other solutions to ensure water conditions ie.. salts/minerals are ideal and to help stave of fungus and infections.
use almond/catappa leave in the water as they are antibacterial and soothing.
make sure the water is cold, axolotls heal better at colder temperatures.
if you can have him tubbed in a glass container rather than plastic as some bacteria known to rot tissue has been found to favour plastic.
make sure the water is changed at a minimum of 24hrs.
the damage doesn't look chemical or bacterial related and more like an injury,
what type of filter inlet do you have?

what are the water parameters/conditions ie.. temperature, ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, hard/soft water, every bit of information helps.
are there any other inhabitants in the tank?
read Axolotls - Requirements & Water Conditions in Captivity
use holtfreters or one of the other solutions to ensure water conditions ie.. salts/minerals are ideal and to help stave of fungus and infections.
use almond/catappa leave in the water as they are antibacterial and soothing.
make sure the water is cold, axolotls heal better at colder temperatures.
if you can have him tubbed in a glass container rather than plastic as some bacteria known to rot tissue has been found to favour plastic.
make sure the water is changed at a minimum of 24hrs.
the damage doesn't look chemical or bacterial related and more like an injury,
what type of filter inlet do you have?

I have had Axol for 1 1/2 years. I have soft water which I treat. He has been fine all of this time, but recently, I have had trouble keeping the PH low. My tap water is 7.5 but within a day of refreshing the tank, it is up to 8.2. He is in a tub now maintaining at 7.5. I don't think the issue is an injury because it is happening under the entire chin. I thought maybe he left his chin on the bottom where there may have been dirt or something but his belly is fine. The rest of his body is fine and his gills are fine. I had a bubbler filter in foam with an air stone and a regular 20 gallon filter. When I originally put him in the tub, I had the air stone bubbling, but the PH kept going up so I removed it and the water stays at 7.5. He has no tank mates and the water temps ranges between 64 and 66 degrees. I managed to find a vet that treats axolotls so have set up an appointment.

Attachments

• 285275924_420678889931685_5385118995547429358_n.png
    285275924_420678889931685_5385118995547429358_n.png
    550.8 KB · Views: 80
now I can see under and around it does look like an infection, but the original cause looks to be chemical burn.
how are you treating the water? what chemical are you using?
in an empty tub add 0.2g bicarbonate of soda per litre of tap water (do not put anything else in the water), make sure the bicarb is mixed in, test the ph, add an air-stone retest after 24hrs, what are the results?
air-stones wont normally effect the ph unless the increased oxygen displace compounds that are making the water acidic such as co2.
is the tap water tested before or after dechlorination.
what is the ammonia level?
can you measure the kh gh of your tap water?
do not treat the water with any hardeners until the cause has been found, just put your axolotl in a tub (preferably glass) with dechlorinated (not conditioner, dechlorinate only) water.
was the waters softness treated in the tub when you got raised ph with an air stone?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back