Slime coat shedding and possibly fill fungus

Jaeger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
DAD3A19D-51D6-476A-A33E-69AD019B5B1B.jpeg
my axolotls slime coat is shedding and his gills look unhealthy, possible fungus? what can i do to stop ive had him tubbed before still didn’t help. please help

ph: 7.8
ammonia: 0.25
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0

AkemiYousei

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tea baths are suppose to help with fungus and bacterial illnesses. As far as any stronger medication, there would need to be a definitive diagnosis, which I am not good at, so I'll let others weigh in with further suggestions.

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mama to 9 axies
Cycling a tank with anything in it that is alive will die due to it not being cycled. Stick with tubing until your tank is ready.

Last edited:

AkemiYousei

Reaction score
Country
United States
Didn't see the ammonia. He won't be able to heal well or at all until that ammonia (and then the nitrites) are processed. So yes, definitely have the tank cycled before taking him out of tubing as AxolotlMama and faebugz pointed out.

Jaeger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Why is ammonia .25? The tank is not cycled. Add seachem prime and look up in-tank cycling
The tank is cycled. And it has been cycled for 3 months before i added him. It recently started spiking, and in my experience 25 ammonia isnt that concerning, when its closer to 1 then its extrmeely concerning. And yes i double dose on prime.

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mama to 9 axies
At this point your axolotl needs to see a vet. Until then tubing as well as a 100% water changes. Your axolotl looks really sick and if the problem continues to keep going as it is you will lose your axolotl. Although many may claim that the ammonia isn't the problem the problem is the water quality in some way shape or form. With axolotls it's like a child you have to mark off all the suspected problems in order to fix this problem. Slime coat doesn't just become a problem but it's overtime it happens due to water quality. I don't want to feel like I'm preaching the gospel but I will say you have a huge problem on your hands and the axolotls health is deteriorating. Btw I see the axolots gill filaments is looking quiet in bad shape as if it's missing/shortening.

Jaeger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
At this point your axolotl needs to see a vet. Until then tubing as well as a 100% water changes. Your axolotl looks really sick and if the problem continues to keep going as it is you will lose your axolotl. Although many may claim that the ammonia isn't the problem the problem is the water quality in some way shape or form. With axolotls it's like a child you have to mark off all the suspected problems in order to fix this problem. Slime coat doesn't just become a problem but it's overtime it happens due to water quality. I don't want to feel like I'm preaching the gospel but I will say you have a huge problem on your hands and the axolotls health is deteriorating. Btw I see the axolots gill filaments is looking quiet in bad shape as if it's missing/shortening.
i had him tubbed weith 100% water changes and constant monitoring for a week. it just became worse. Ive only just released him into the tank again and his shedding has calmed down.n if it continues like this for the next few days i will get him checked at the vet

Jaeger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Also with regards to the gills, my axolotl (other) that recently passed away, when they were tubbed while i cycled the tank water a bit more his gills started growing back (the golden) and my wild types havent changed.

AxolotlMama

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Mama to 9 axies
In no way do I want to offend you but in a week all the damage your axolotls sustained won't be cured in a week of tubing but it takes time and it's proven to help. It's your axolotl and you will do what you feel is best for it and the only thing I can do is give you the best advice but it seems you have it figured out. I hope everything works out.

AMurry24537

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your nitrates are 0, your cycle almost definitely crashed. Unless you have a LOT of hungry plants, your nitrates would not be at 0 in a cycled tank.

Jaeger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
If your nitrates are 0, your cycle almost definitely crashed. Unless you have a LOT of hungry plants, your nitrates would not be at 0 in a cycled tank.
just checked them, was wrong. 0.25

Jaeger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Reaching out to hear an update whenever you have time 🙂.
hi! update: it had been completely gone for about 4 days, and today its just reappeared. Are there any things to help with the skin peeling? I know ive tried tea baths and personally, they ont help him from experience. Im thinking about trying salt baths, is that okay? or a bit too harsh?

Jaeger

Reaction score
Country
Australia
It also recently looks like he has fungus on his gills
It just appeared today, saltbaths? if so how?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • lvlyvoa:
    hey thank you all so much for your help!! i shouldn't have been so careless, but I love my axie very much and her behaviour has improved as I have started a tank cycle and gotten some good food for her
    +1
    Unlike
  • faebugz:
    @lvlyvoa, good to hear, np. They love nightcrawlers and worms if you have access to them, they're the healthiest thing they can eat since they're a complete prey
    +1
    Unlike
  • BrodieBAxolotls:
    hey, does anyone have any brine shrimp eggs??
    +1
    Unlike
  • liz.:
    i do!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse? can anyone help?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger I would try to double up on Prime to combat the slime coat shed when doing the 100% water changes. Also, if it's bad, might want to consider a tea bath as a preventive measure.
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jasper2021:
    We have an axolotl called Jasper who is approx 3 years old. He was being attacked by his companion so we separated them. He has healed his wounds now but has got very thin. his lips have turned black. he was just looking still and dead at times but ears moved so we knew he was still alive. Hold earthworms right in front of him which after some time he will take you think good he is eating but then it pops straight out again. At the moment he is in the fridge. Not sure what else to do if he can't or won't eat !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    Hi Jasper 2021,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give off an awful taste - have you tried live river shrimp? Mine really like these and are always happy to 'bite' - I also give them live crickets and pellets which are really pungeant in smell and they always take these - even wait at the glass for them! So sorry to hear he was being attacked by his companion!
    +1
    Unlike
    Wyn1993: I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give... +1