Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sluggish slimys......

E

ed

My two slimy sals have become somewhat sluggish lately. I don't they are eating well either. I'm sure alot of this has to do with the weather. I mean they were really shy before, and very picky eaters,but they seem more so now. I had them in a shoebox with soil from my backyard and moss, but I have moved into a 25 gallon tall planted aquarium in the hopes that better ventilation and more natural like surrounds will make them more comfortable. They don't seem sick or necessarily unhealthy, but I can definitely tell they have lost weight. Any thoughts?

N

nimbus2

What are the temps Ed? Around here slimys go underground from May on and the ground temp is 58F. I've kept some slimys before long-term. They seem to really need variety in their food. One week they'll eat crickets, the next week they wont, etc. Well, hopefully they perk up for you.

E

ed

Like I said, pretty high. 78 and up. Reached about 85 for a couple hours in the house yesterday before we go it cooled down.

N

nimbus2

Yeah, that definitely explains it. Plethodons are very heat-sensitive and most of the ones I've kept will start to act very lethargic and stop eating at 75F+. I don't think they can take those kind of temps for very long.

E

ed

My Aneides, by contrast seem to be fine. Eating well and behaving normally. But, they are probably more used to this dryer heat than what you have back east. I remember a trip back east about 8 years back to Oklahoma in the summer.
It was cooler today. The slimys perked up a little, so we will see.
Can't run the AC too much because the rates here in California have effectively tripled. May have to come up with another solution.

N

nimbus2

Yeah, if that (tripled energy costs) were to happen here I don't know what I'd do. No basement to fall back on either...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1