Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Small Ammonia Spike After Introducing Baby Axolotl

ThatHistoryGuy94

Reaction score
First, info:
Ammonia- 0.75-1
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10-15
Temp- 62
Size- 29g
Filters- large sponge and 75g HOB
Only inhabitant is baby axolotl (2.5")

I cycled my tank for almost 4 weeks beforehand, having dosed up to 8 ppm ammonia and then slowly feeding 2 ppm while nitrites climbed and descended. I ended up with over 50ppm nitrate, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, and water changed that back down to 15.
I introduced my baby axolotl 4 days ago. I've done my best to spot clean whenever I feed, but occasionally a piece gets away. She has also pooped once during the night that resulted in a spot clean the next morning.

Regardless, my ammonia has slowly crept to 1 ppm. I did a 50-60% water change, and knowing my tap water contains some chloramine, dosed with Prime (as I always do when adding water). I'm also removing the axie to feed so no more food gets away.

I've never owned an axolotl before, but have owned several small fish. Is a small spike like this expected when introducing an axie?

wolfen

Reaction score
the tank should have been cycled at 4ppm ammonia, the ammonia level should have been tested daily then topped up to 4ppm, only when after 24hrs 3 days in a row that it read zero on both nitrites and ammonia is the cycling finished.
the ammonia is dosed at 4ppm so that the filtration is able to cope once the axolotl becomes an adult, if the ammonia levels are rising whilst the axolotl is only 2.5 inches ie a young juvenile then the cycling wasn't completed properly.
there should be no need to remove your axolotl for feeding and doing spot checks/poop scooping should be enough to keep levels down, weekly water changes should be done to remove nitrates from the water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1