Small gills and more question

Panini

Reaction score
Country
Bolivia
Hello! So my friend has had 3 axolotls since june, she's worried because the smallest golden one has quite small gills and the albino one has one of their gills red and spots on their tail, the melanoid one is fine doe i think. I thought i might be able to help her by asking on this website. Here are the pictures of the 3 axolotls, please if anyone knows if there's anything wrong tell me so i notify her!

-Panini

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 262
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    825.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 119
First I'd like to say the axolotls are adorable. Secondly I would say it's not abnormal for axolotls to have small gills her gills look quiet nice now if the head of her axolotl had no gills at all I'd say there's a huge problem. The spots on the axolotl is quite normal nothing to be of concern. Overall her axolotls look healthy and great. No im not a vet from experience I'd say they look great!

Last edited:
the whitish dots are iridophores, the gills are stunted in length due to genetics. she looks good overall though!

First I'd like to say the axolotls are adorable. Secondly I would say it's not abnormal for axolotls to have small gills her gills look quiet nice now if the head of her axolotl had no gills at all I'd say there's a huge problem. The spots on the axolotl is quite normal nothing to be of concern. Overall her axolotls look healthy and great. No im not a vet from experience I'd say they look great!
thanks so much!!! <3

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back