Smell

I

ian

I am wondering, how smelly will the culture get? Cause when I used to purchase fruit flies, those were not smelly at all.

I wish if I am culturing on my own, my culture will smell like that will be good.

R

russ

I'm using the recipe on the original post in the previous thread, except that I use Quaker oats (not instant). There is never a smell, at least not one you can detect with the lid on.

justin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
justin slate
I used to use Carloina mix and thin it out with potato flakes, then add spirulina and brewers yeast (bit of smell but good for them). That method is much cheaper than using strictly commercial mixes and it's always yielded good outputs for me in the past. I used that mix for about 4 or 5 years. If you like commerical mixes and want a good one I like EDs Fly Meat or Carolina (if you can get it).
j

I

ian

I found a page saying that we should not add potato flake, since they smell very bad after a few weeks. And it also suggest to use brewers yeast instead of bakers yeast.

Are these true?

E

edward

Hi Ian,
If you use straight potato flakes then yes they can smell bad particuarly if the culture has too much moisture. If you mix potato flakes with powdered sugar, brewer's yeast and a commecial media then it doesn't tend to get that foul odor unless it gets contaminated.

In a simplified answer, brewer's yeast (which is dead) to add extra protien, baker's yeast is alive and will provide the stimulus for the flies to lay eggs.

Ed

justin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
justin slate
Ed, isn't it true that D. melanogaster also feed on the yeast whereas D. hydei feed more on media? Also I think I will have your wife ("the evil one") comment on how your cultures smell from time to time...
j

A

alan

I never encountered a Drosophila culture which didn't smell. Oh sure, some smell worse than others, but even the best leave a musty smell in the room. In my case, the solution was to keep them in a cabinet (I'm using an old wardrobe, but I grow a LOT of Drosophila cultures :) also containing a thermostatically controlled heater and an aquarium airpump which dumps the smell outside the house and keeps the cabinet under slight negative pressure.

E

edward

The cultures that smelled were the potato flake ones..... not the commercial mixes or the commercial mixes that I "thinned" with potato flakes, powdered sugar and brewer's yeast.....

I would say that both species ingest the media to get at the yeast and by doing so digest the media. Hydei seem consume more of the media but this could be due a lot of different factors.

Ed

I

ian

I heard of a media with apple sauce, banana, oat meal and baker's yeast from my visit at the local reptile show. I tried to smell it. it does not smell any stronger than a beer smell. Anyone tried this media before?

A

alan

I recently experimented with adding honey (on the grounds that it is antibacterial) to my cultures. It did reduce the smell, but in my hands it also reduced the yield of flies by ~50%, so I stopped using it.

E

edward

Alan,
Try using some cinnamon in a couple of your cultures to see if it makes a difference. I have heard it makes them smell better.
Since I started microwaving cultures, I have had very few bad smelling cultures (and those I can toss).

Ed

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • blubford:
    so that dumb salamander state to state import bill didnt pass i take it right
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    havent heard news about it in a good while
    +1
    Unlike
  • wnorman293:
    Hi, how do you delete a post?
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    you dont
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    just kidding but i think there should be an option for it on your profile mabye
    +1
    Unlike
  • ipsoslolly:
    Hi guys my axolotl has not used his back legs since late Tuesday night,is this normal . He back half keeps floating up the way
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    that doesnt sound good
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Is it normal for my axie to eat every day? He’s overly hungry 😛
    +1
    Unlike
  • Dr. Phil:
    I'm new here but do I detect a bit of sarcasm in these comments? Ya'll sound like a fine bunch to me!
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    oh yes we’re all very sarcastic
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    My son and I have been looking for a water dog/tiger salamander for quite some time now with no luck has anybody know how or where to find any
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jokerjay:
    @axolotl nerd, where can I find waterdogs or tiger salamanders my son has wanted one for a long time and I've been searching high and low with no luck
    +1
    Unlike
  • xxianxx:
    @Jokerjay, its a good idea to tell people where you are from. This is an international group. I have eastern tigers, im in the uk.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    @Jokerjay, as in water dogs do you mean axolotls? i suggest very heavy research and a fully cycled tank before even considering purchasing one
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    Axolotls are amazing until they get sick and then they’re a pain in the backside to treat - I recently lost two axolotls due to unknown causes
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Anyone from the us? Looking for at least one or two axolotls for me and my son to have our own at-home project together.
    +1
    Unlike
  • axolotl nerd:
    i highly recommend “buyanaxolotl.com”- ive purchased from them and received a beautiful animal for relatively cheap, in great condition, and excellent shipping precautions. the breeders are a couple living in georgia (i believe, don’t quite remember) and they’re fantastic. sometimes their website contact page doesn’t work, so i’d probably try just emailing them. good luck and happy hunting!
    +1
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    do those aquarium fans work well for axolotls
    +1
    Unlike
  • Sheryl Fraser:
    My little guy got stuck in the filter yesterday. His back leg is red. Will this heal
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    Z-One has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • KonaGoldAquatics:
    Any recommendations on a water chiller for a 10gallon but will work for a 20gal when I decide to upgrade?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Tinc Tank:
    Anybody working with and breeding Salamandra salamandra salamandra?
    +2
    Unlike
  • blubford:
    heh
    +1
    Unlike
  • Alexmcc:
    Hi all I'm new here I'm just looking some advise on cycle witch is currently driving me insane . So we are week 8 I'm dosing daily with 4pp of amonia and for the last week has been dropping to zero witch I no is good. But my question is my nitrites are sitting at between 0.50 and 1.0 PM and nitrates are between 10 and 20 and neither of these seem to be dropping. I have done 2 40% water changes a few days ago and no change the only thing I can think of is I didnt use the seachem stability stuff which I have now ordered but surely that shouldn't have much difference this far into cycling
    +1
    Unlike
  • ytz13513:
    Dropping ammonia with rising nitrate and nitrite is good. It means the nitrifying bacteria is working. You just have to remove the nitrate from the water doing water changes. The level of nitrates is high and the nitrate is also high. The nitrite will be converted to nitrate using the beneficial bacteria and you can add them using quick start or allowing them to naturally grow in the tank. The latter option will take longer. The nitrate can be used by plants, so live plants can decrease the levels, but I would do a water change to get the nitrate at a level that is lower than 5 ppm. 5ppm of nitrate is natural and a good place.
    +1
    Unlike
    ytz13513: Dropping ammonia with rising nitrate and nitrite is good. It means the nitrifying bacteria is... +1