Skudo09
Active member
I purchased an aquarium ornament on ebay recently and it finally arrived. However it had a very potent chemical smell to it so I soaked it in cold water for over a week to see if it would dissipate. It didn't and it actually made the water itself smell and left an oily film on the surface of the water :-/. I had changed the water a few times during this time too.
I have pretty much given up and I am too worried that it is not actually safe to put in an aquarium even though it is stated that it is supposedly made from a non-toxic plastic... It just is not worth the risk. Which is a shame as I really love the ornament.
I was actually intending on putting into my new tank that I am upgrading my three goldfish to, but it presents the same issue if I was to put in my axolotl tank.
I am just curious I guess to see if anyone here has had a similar experience with an ornament and whether anyone had any tips on removing the smell?
I have pretty much given up and I am too worried that it is not actually safe to put in an aquarium even though it is stated that it is supposedly made from a non-toxic plastic... It just is not worth the risk. Which is a shame as I really love the ornament.
I was actually intending on putting into my new tank that I am upgrading my three goldfish to, but it presents the same issue if I was to put in my axolotl tank.
I am just curious I guess to see if anyone here has had a similar experience with an ornament and whether anyone had any tips on removing the smell?