Smooth newt aquatic?

FishForLife2001

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Ryan
Hi all, new here.

I have a trio of smooth newts, a female and two males. They are kept in a 60x40x30cm (LxWxH) tank with 10cm of water on the bottom. There is some elodea and a very small floating platform, and a rock which allows them to stand partly out of water whilst remaining wet.

The female and one male spend most of their time in the water. They have fed well and I have no problems with them, the female has even been laying eggs.

One male has remained on land for most of the 1 1/2 weeks I have had them. I have a terrestrial setup available but apparently they should be aquatic at this stage, for the breeding season.

Should I keep this male in the aquatic setup, and wait until it becomes aquatic (if this is possible now?) or keep it terrestrially?

Also what months do they typically become and remain aquatic until in captivity?

Sent from my 9001X using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back