Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Snails in Tank?

Dillusion

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm fairly new to the scene of having axolotls as pets, and I'd like to think Im doing a decent job so far. Today, however, I noticed that there were two dots on my tank. I snapped a picture then took them out. I was hoping it would be some gravel stuck on the tank, but when I pinched it too hard with the tongs it sounded like a shell. I'm not super sure if they are snails, but I was hoping anyone else has heard or had this problem that could help with whether or not it's dangerous and the solutions for it.

To give background, I got my axolotls about two months ago. They are in a 20/25 gallon tank with dechlorinated water and live plants. I do full water changes about every other week. I actually just gave them a full water change this past Monday, and detailed cleaned the rocks, hideouts and such. I hadn't put any other species of animals with the axolotls, and I had no suspicion that there were anything else in the water these past couple months.

I added some photos of the suspicious snails, tank and my lotls. Their names are Aurelian and Valerian btw!

IMG_5430.jpeg
IMG_5416.jpeg
IMG_0089.jpeg
IMG_3932.jpeg

SirTorro

Reaction score
Snails can usually be carried on plants. They can be dangerous if the axolotls swallow them, as they can be too big to pass through the digestive system. I don’t really know any other methods on how to get rid of them besides picking them out. If you see any more on plants/decor, I’d suggest taking the plant/decoration out of the tank and quickly taking off the snails.

rsjour4079

Reaction score
That's kind of weird! I would take them out and put them in another tank if you have one to see what they turn into. If they are snails, cool! I have snails in my adult axolotls tanks and they haven't caused any issues and help keep up their ecosystem. But I am afraid to put them in with my axolotls babies, they'll eat anything.

marivan

Reaction score
What a beautiful tank! Good luck in finding out what they are. I have some other creepies in my tank but my axi doesn't seem interested in eating them, so I have to clean them out as best as I can. They came in on a plant. The only way I'd get rid of mine is to empty the entire tank and start again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1