Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

So.. Axolotls and Shrimp.

ZayneSantos

Reaction score
I have cherry shrimp in my tank, which have now lasted over an hour. I've been really interested in bamboo/wood shrimp. Has anyone has these guys in with their axolotls? Would they be safe? I know they're very docile in nature.. and I doubt axolotls that are 8"+ would try to eat one.. right? I know this is probably a dumb question. But I'm curious if anyone has actually housed them together

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Any larger shrimp are not safe as if eaten will cause some serious impaction.

I wouldnt even use Amano for adults.

Ghosts are as big as I go for shrimp.

ZayneSantos

Reaction score
I thought so. The person at the pet store suggested getting one, I said it could cause impaction issues to them and they said they're not sure so I thought I'd ask here if anyone's ever actually housed them together or anything. The best place to ask would be here of course. Thank you!

Calgarycoppers

Reaction score
Most pet stores are in it to sell you anything and everything even if it isnt appropriate or the best.

This is a great forum with many international opinions which is great

I thought so. The person at the pet store suggested getting one, I said it could cause impaction issues to them and they said they're not sure so I thought I'd ask here if anyone's ever actually housed them together or anything. The best place to ask would be here of course. Thank you!

ZayneSantos

Reaction score
Most pet stores are in it to sell you anything and everything even if it isnt appropriate or the best.

This is a great forum with many international opinions which is great
yeah! Haha. I'm wondering if I can buy some river shrimp online. People have told me they're small enough and good as feeders for axolotls. It says they're great for freshwater animal feeding, but it comes in a bag with salty water, do you think they could be acclimated to live in the freshwater tank?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1