Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

So... Can I just drop him in? Haha

Savvy1985

Reaction score
My tank has cycled, I now have a chiller that keeps the water at 64 degrees, ans everything is set and ready to go for him. He has been in a kritter keeper for the last 1.5 months of his life, and has already out grown it, so I'd like to get him in the new tank soon. But, I don't want to throw him into shock. Do I just put him right in, or what? His keeper stays aroud 65-68 with ice packs, so the temperature shouldn't be that much of a drastic change. But again. Don't want to stress him out.

Thanks!

Caesar

Reaction score
My tank has cycled, I now have a chiller that keeps the water at 64 degrees, ans everything is set and ready to go for him. He has been in a kritter keeper for the last 1.5 months of his life, and has already out grown it, so I'd like to get him in the new tank soon. But, I don't want to throw him into shock. Do I just put him right in, or what? His keeper stays aroud 65-68 with ice packs, so the temperature shouldn't be that much of a drastic change. But again. Don't want to stress him out.

Thanks!

yes! If the temperatures are within a couple degrees of eachother he should be fine. You can always float his kritter keeper in the tank until they match temperatures then let him go. But he should be okay :eek:

Savvy1985

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks! I'm excited to get him in there. Now as far as feeding goes, I noticed most of you guys have feeding dishes. I have yet to try him on earthworms, and he still has a few days of bloodworms left. If I were to feed him in hs kritter keeper to keep waste down, that shouldn't be an issue, right? I mean, I've been doing 100% water changes on his daily, so he is used to bein moved around.

tipnatee

Reaction score
Yes if he is so used to be moving around you can just throw him in :D. , and if you comfortable of feeding his frozen there , I think it is a good idea for now till your left over frozen blood worms to run out first. Cause if you start with live earth worm you can do it in new tank and it won't damage your water condition . And if your new tank also has air bubbles stone installed, you can also keep your earth worm alive in there with your axie for a month.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1