Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

So, I got a new Axolotl...

Asholotl

Reaction score
So I'm a complete beginner and got a new axolotl. The Pet shop that sold him to me told me to feed him two small things of bloodworms everyday saying they were juvenile but i never got the age of the axolotl.
They told me not to feed them earthworms even if i cut them up.

I cut up the earthworms anyways and fed him a little bit of bloodworms, which it pretty much scattered all over the bottom of the tank were i cant clean it easily...so in frustration i took the chopped up worm, only a quarter of it. so about a small mouthful for the dude and let him eat that, since the blood worms were so little and he didn't get much to eat...

I don't know if he got into a fight with the other tank mates, since his legs are small and his gills were not super fluffy, I just got him today, and I dont know the age of him or how much im supposed to feed him.
I know older ones eat one big meal every 2 to 3 days.
I could use some help figuring out what to do with him feeding wise. He is super beautiful to me and I don't want him to get sick.
I just want to be the best axolotl parent i can be.

That and i need to name him at some point too... So any advice would be nice. As much as i studied up on them, i dont know as much as i should or i panic to much and doubt myself.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 420
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 101

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
So I'm a complete beginner and got a new axolotl. The Pet shop that sold him to me told me to feed him two small things of bloodworms everyday saying they were juvenile but i never got the age of the axolotl.
They told me not to feed them earthworms even if i cut them up.

I cut up the earthworms anyways and fed him a little bit of bloodworms, which it pretty much scattered all over the bottom of the tank were i cant clean it easily...so in frustration i took the chopped up worm, only a quarter of it. so about a small mouthful for the dude and let him eat that, since the blood worms were so little and he didn't get much to eat...

I don't know if he got into a fight with the other tank mates, since his legs are small and his gills were not super fluffy, I just got him today, and I dont know the age of him or how much im supposed to feed him.
I know older ones eat one big meal every 2 to 3 days.
I could use some help figuring out what to do with him feeding wise. He is super beautiful to me and I don't want him to get sick.
I just want to be the best axolotl parent i can be.

That and i need to name him at some point too... So any advice would be nice. As much as i studied up on them, i dont know as much as i should or i panic to much and doubt myself.
just a few things before i hop into the shower, then i’ll give a more detailed response

hi!!! welcome to caudata! i’m ren, and i’m known for making art of axolotls and constantly asking questions here on the site. admittedly, i’m a bit of a menace sometimes, but usually i just try to give my best advice and make a positive impact in peoples lives.

enough about me, i’m super excited to get to know you and your new little monster!!
first, i can tell by reading through that you’ve done your research on axies and know more than the average pet store
*cough* the one you got your new friend from misinformed you! *cough cough*
so already you get a round of applause for studying up and not impulse buying :)

second, you have what i believe to be a juvenile male(?) wildtype GFP axolotl! a lovely choice, and his colors are stunning. quite the looker, might i say.

third, cycling and tank setup; i won’t get super deep into this as i’m incredibly sleepy, but your water parameters would be much appreciated in determining if we need to change anything or if you’ve got things down pat. (if you’re reading this bit and thinking “????” i get it, i’ll explain in either a PM or a response to this thread :) )

fourth, feeding. i feed almost exclusively live earthworms from a responsible source. bloodworms are great for fattening up your little lotl, but are essentially the axolotls equivalent of eating chips or bread. earthworms, however, are the buffet of the axolotl world- they provide everything they need nutritionally and from a mineral standpoint- i highly recommend them

fifth, NAMES!!
my personal favorite that i’ve come up with for a wildtype is “greenbean“ or ”bean“ for short. i personally was looking at getting a male wildtype for breeding purposes, but had to abandon my search after a personal incident that required me to change house. anyways, i was going to name him greenbean, and i adore the name. it’s one of my favorites, and i had to suggest it

thanks for reading! and welcome again, so excited to meet you!!!!

Asholotl

Reaction score
just a few things before i hop into the shower, then i’ll give a more detailed response

hi!!! welcome to caudata! i’m ren, and i’m known for making art of axolotls and constantly asking questions here on the site. admittedly, i’m a bit of a menace sometimes, but usually i just try to give my best advice and make a positive impact in peoples lives.

enough about me, i’m super excited to get to know you and your new little monster!!
first, i can tell by reading through that you’ve done your research on axies and know more than the average pet store
*cough* the one you got your new friend from misinformed you! *cough cough*
so already you get a round of applause for studying up and not impulse buying :)

second, you have what i believe to be a juvenile male(?) wildtype GFP axolotl! a lovely choice, and his colors are stunning. quite the looker, might i say.

third, cycling and tank setup; i won’t get super deep into this as i’m incredibly sleepy, but your water parameters would be much appreciated in determining if we need to change anything or if you’ve got things down pat. (if you’re reading this bit and thinking “????” i get it, i’ll explain in either a PM or a response to this thread :) )

fourth, feeding. i feed almost exclusively live earthworms from a responsible source. bloodworms are great for fattening up your little lotl, but are essentially the axolotls equivalent of eating chips or bread. earthworms, however, are the buffet of the axolotl world- they provide everything they need nutritionally and from a mineral standpoint- i highly recommend them

fifth, NAMES!!
my personal favorite that i’ve come up with for a wildtype is “greenbean“ or ”bean“ for short. i personally was looking at getting a male wildtype for breeding purposes, but had to abandon my search after a personal incident that required me to change house. anyways, i was going to name him greenbean, and i adore the name. it’s one of my favorites, and i had to suggest it

thanks for reading! and welcome again, so excited to meet you!!!!

Nice to meet you too, I go by Ash!
Yeah I did some research and have been throwing a fit over my water. I did a water change before I put him in cause the nitrates were a bit higher then i wanted them to be and plan on doing a water check tomorrow. (water is at 60 temp too!)

I actually was thinking about calling him Beans xD or Figgy, for Figgy pudding. but I'm still not sure on it.
And yes! He was the brightest and more colorful out of the Three. Honestly i think one was a girl... which bothers me, Two males and one female. -maybe- only two had the bump on the back like he does. (he is indeed a male)

though yeah, i had been asking every pet store about everything and they all give different answers from what i did from reading up on it. i know red wigglers and nightcrawlers/earthworms are good for them.
Since he is a Juvenile Axie I'll try feeding him twice a day everyday till he seems to be an adult and keep a close eye on him everyday.
I fed him about a full worm it was all cut up though so easy to swallow and eat.
Im just glad i found this place. I'll keep picture updates and such too if everyone will like that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1