Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Soil?

grius

Reaction score
Hello.

Im trying to get my hands on some soil that are ok for newts and plant, i want cocos substrate but that will arrive first next week, and i cant whait that long. I allways used something for my reptiles called sow and cactus dirt, but now they have mixet a new ingredient in that i notice today( manure)

The only thing i can find, strangely enough, is a plantsoil with these ingrediens.

Ingredient.
Dirtmixture:
55% light peat(the dark soil like)
40% dark peat
5% gravel
Structure:Finely ground
PH: 5.5-6,5
managementnumber: 3.0-4.5

Additive /m3.
3kg limestoneflour
2kg dolomitlime
1,7kg NPK 11-5-18+ something i missed that when photing.

Will this product work?

Best regards.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Looks like it will work. The dolomite and limestone should control the possible pH shift due to the peat. Downside is, in my experience, over time plant-type potting soils that include peat tend to develop fungus that is nearly impossible to control.

grius

Reaction score
I forgotten to mentioned that i only need this substrate to silicon at the backside in my tank(foam) so i dont want the soil as substrate in the tank. I shall use cocos for that, but untill i get this moment done i cant do anything.

Regards.

merk199

Reaction score
I am using an organic topsoil mixed 50/50 with coco. Drains well. I have had a discussion with some veterans and they change their soil mixtures out completely every 6 months to a year. I plan on following the same course unless I make a misstep and over seed the springtails or whatever.

grius

Reaction score
I am using an organic topsoil mixed 50/50 with coco. Drains well. I have had a discussion with some veterans and they change their soil mixtures out completely every 6 months to a year. I plan on following the same course unless I make a misstep and over seed the springtails or whatever.

That sounds good, it is just for foam-silikon-substrate a have probleme with if i dont want to whait to next week. But i dont have time for that so i must get something latest tomorrow:/ without risk too get fungus with it hehe.

grius

Reaction score
I just went out to my nearest plant shop to look for some soil, but the only i can find without manure/fertilizer is this one obove. This time it is for my tigers and my thought is a blend consisting of: plantation soil, little part playsand, fine crushed leaves and last some of this soil ( similiar to the leaf litter mix from caudata article)

Does this sounds okey? maybe better then just plantation soil with leaves over like i have for the moment.

grius

Reaction score
I shall keep looking then. I know that peat is not recommended but it is very hard to find a good topsoil around here, or in other stores longer from me. So so hard to find this stuff: /

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1