soldier fly larvae

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
In the past I've used soldier fly larvae (phoenix worms tm.). In my search for a variety of foods I came across something called a biopod. You put compost material in the biopod. The biopod attracts adult soldier flies that lay their eggs in it. Larvae hatch out and you harvest them. It sounds simple and should supply some food. Some potential draw backs are it is expensive and has to be used outside in an area where soldier flies are present. You can't use it in cold temperatures. I know soldier flies are in my area because I raised some from larvae in entomology class back in the dark ages.

Do any of you have any experience raising soldier fly larvae? It is getting late in the year to start this project but I'm seriously thinking about it for next year.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting...I've never heard of the biopod before. We looked into culturing soldier flies before, but the breeding process is way too complicated to accommodate indoors.

Please post updates if you purchase one, and I'll do the same.
Thanks,

Tim

michael

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
Hi Tim,
You are correct you can't easily culture them indoors. They do best cultured outdoors with the eggs being laid by wild soldier flies. The publicity material says the unit can be set up on the balcony of an apartment if necessary. They have to be shaded and I think the flies do some kind of mating flight before laying eggs. You can purchase soldier flies or I suppose you could hatch larvae to seed your biopod. I'm in Pennsylvania and it would be a seasonal thing for me. I'll probably set up a biopod in the spring and give it a shot.

I think it would only be a worthwhile effort for somebody with a large collection to feed or who has a keen interest in composting, organic gardening, and reducing their carbon footprint. All apply to me.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm hoping to convince the zoo to buy one for the same reasons to see how it works. We usually have a surplus of large phoenix worms sitting around anyway. It should be easy enough to re-start every spring.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Display Name
John Clare
I've been reading all about this. It certainly would seem to be a great idea if your climate is amenable to it. Here is a good website about them and the biopod:

http://blacksoldierflyblog.com/

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
When I lived in Virginia, I kept my worm compost bin outdoors in a shady location, and every summer it was full of soldier flies and their grubs. At the time, I didn't realize that these grubs would be good newt food. Thus, this will work, but the soldier flies may take some time to "find" the location. Co-culture with worms works just fine and would provide both kinds of food.

I'm wondering if seeding the culture with Phoenix worms might be a bad idea. If this specific soldier fly species isn't native, it would amount to releasing a non-native insect species.

michael

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
I know soldier flies are found in Pa. because I raised some larvae found in a compost pile. Soldier fly larvae do show up in my worm bins sometimes. They should be much easier to harvest in the biopod. I'm mostly interested in harvesting them at smaller sizes that I wouldn't be able to find mixed in with my worms.

fishkeeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Joseph S
The biopod thing is meant to facilitate harvest of full grown soldierflies...so I'm not sure how it would be better than a worm bin unless you want those.

Do they make good newt food?

luvmycreatures

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried some of these on my toads and they pooped them out whole. Doesn't that mean that they're difficult to digest? My toads haven't ever pooped out anything whole other than these larvae.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Michael - there are many different species of soldier fly with different native ranges. I'll try to find out where the "phoenix worm" species is native to.

Luvmy - where did you get the larvae? Were they commercial phoenix worms, or a local species you found? It's likely that the phoenix worm species was selected for its palatability, and maybe not all soldier flies make good food.

freves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Foster Reves
I am not totally sold on phoenix worms. I have used them perhaps a half dozen times with mixed success. Generally my animals that will eat anything offered usually snap them right up. More than a few individuals however seem to find them distasteful and spit them out. My biggest complaint is the time it takes to clean off the bedding that they are packed in, it seems to stick to everything.
Chip

luvmycreatures

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jennewt-
It was the commercial brand sold specifically for feeding critters. I got them from Wormman. The toads LOVED them but I've just never seen another food choice come out whole.

michael

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Michael Shrom
Michael - there are many different species of soldier fly with different native ranges. I'll try to find out where the "phoenix worm" species is native to.

Phoenix worm is just a trade name for black soldier fly larvae. When I cultured a soldier fly larvae that was in my compost pile it turned into an adult black soldier fly. It's still pinned up somewhere in my attic. From what I've read I should have no problem with them showing up in my area.

I can see how a bigger larvae could pass whole through a toad with some size to it. I'm planning to harvest small larvae for a replacement for 1/8" crickets along with larger larvae.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Country
United States
We feed them as part of a varied diet to our spray toads, and I do see them passed whole sometimes, but other times the "skin" is empty.

I have a Gyrinophilus larva that takes them from my fingers, and I pinch the head of the worm before feeding it. The inside is digestable, but that calcium rich exoskeleton may inhibit digestion in some cases unless ruptured. I never see whole worms passed by the gyro.
-Tim

onetwentysix

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hannah Lembcke
The Biopods are really expensive, but all you really need is a 20 gallon tupperware with a hole cut in the side and some small holes for drainage on the bottom. Add some wet dog food and table scraps, cover, and wait. Eventually, the flies will take over and you're set without having to pay $100+ for a Biopod.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    liz. has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    My axolotls were doing fine until the cycle int heir tank crashed. I currently have them tubbed and they wont stop shedding their slime coat, and my golden albino looks a little red, and his gills dont look too good. Theyre both flaoting and im keeping the tub at 18 degrees celsius and doing 100% water changes everyday, any help on anythingelse? can anyone help?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger I would try to double up on Prime to combat the slime coat shed when doing the 100% water changes. Also, if it's bad, might want to consider a tea bath as a preventive measure.
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    I just wrote this on the post ^
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Haha, great minds, right?
    +2
    Unlike
  • AxolotlMama:
    They sure do 😄!
    +2
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    @AkemiYousei thanks so much. Will do. I have also given them a tea bath before, seems to work their gills are looking so much healthier, my golden albino is swimming around frantically trying to jump out, should i be worried? my wild type is fine
    +2
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Might be the stress, or the shedding bothering it
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    Make sure s/he can't jump out, and maybe keep her in a undisturbed, darkened place for a bit. See if that calms the goldie.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    KOsika has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    I woke up to my golden axolotl covered complete white. what do i do
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jaeger:
    Just found out, hes dead. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • mcapanema:
    :'(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AkemiYousei:
    @Jaeger, Oh no! Sorry to hear. :(
    +1
    Unlike
  • AxelTheAxolotl123:
    my axolotl has white balls on its gills and the feathers have shrunk
    +1
    Unlike
  • Jasper2021:
    We have an axolotl called Jasper who is approx 3 years old. He was being attacked by his companion so we separated them. He has healed his wounds now but has got very thin. his lips have turned black. he was just looking still and dead at times but ears moved so we knew he was still alive. Hold earthworms right in front of him which after some time he will take you think good he is eating but then it pops straight out again. At the moment he is in the fridge. Not sure what else to do if he can't or won't eat !!
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    Hi Jasper 2021,
    +1
    Unlike
  • Wyn1993:
    I am new to axolotls myself and one thing I learnt was that earth worms when in distress give off an awful taste - have you tried live river shrimp? Mine really like these and are always happy to 'bite' - I also give them live crickets and pellets which are really pungeant in smell and they always take these - even wait at the glass for them! So sorry to hear he was being attacked by his companion!
    +1
    Unlike
  • MelissaKenyon:
    Hi, just wondering if anyone could help with our axy, she absolutely loves her food and we've notice tonight after her worms( that she ate in one mouthful) that she ue was struggling to get up to the top for air. She's never done this before, she usually goes up every 5-10 mins or so. She is 6 months old and seems very healthy. Could it be a problem with our water level or water quality or could she just be to full?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has left the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • Chat Bot:
    MelissaKenyon has joined the room.
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    I posted a thread about my axolotl if anyone is able to help me out!
    +1
    Unlike
  • bearbear_13:
    She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked her water levels with no negative results
    +1
    Unlike
    bearbear_13: She’s not eating, her tail and gills have shrunk, she’s lot a lot of weight, and we’ve checked... +1