Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some freshly hatched Laotriton laoensis

NathanKS

Reaction score
So i recently hatched out 100+ from my 2.2 group.
5MfjZJY.jpg

steven1969s

Reaction score
Hi Nathan.

At what temps do you keep your juveniles? I have a group that I'm having a hard time feeding.
I have tried feeding them everything from, fruitflies, pinhead crickets, wiggling black worms with a toothpick, small meal worms and nothing.
My newt room is about 60f so maybe it's a bit too cold for juveniles?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

Niels D

Reaction score
I'm keeping mine at room temperature (17/18C) and I'm offering them blood worms on paper towel as a staple, though they're fed pinheads and white worms as well. I'm no expert though since this is the first time I've raised these buggers. I got some eggs from a fellow keeper, so I'm not a breeder. I'm using the same method for raising them terrestrial as the breeder I got them from does.

steven1969s

Reaction score
Last night I realized how important it is to keep them at around 70f. Two hours after moving them to a warmer room they immediately accepted black worms. I have been trying to feed them for about a month without any success.
Things are looking good now.

Steve

NathanKS

Reaction score
Hi Nathan.

At what temps do you keep your juveniles? I have a group that I'm having a hard time feeding.
I have tried feeding them everything from, fruitflies, pinhead crickets, wiggling black worms with a toothpick, small meal worms and nothing.
My newt room is about 60f so maybe it's a bit too cold for juveniles?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I've tried a few temperatures. They've seemed to do best when the temperature is 70-72f. Over that and they start declining rapidly. Below that they do well but as you have seen, feeding is slowed. If I had to give a target i would recommend 68-70f just because of the effect of over 70 on their skin.
As for feeding mine take all of those readily at 71f right now.

Hope they continue to eat

-Nathan

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!