Something for Sergé

J

juraj

I met this subadult yesterday
16655.jpg

16656.jpg

Thank you very much! Even more interesting as you can see the belly is almost without any spots. Just one on the chin luckely...please to continue with this, I hope you will see many more!

Hi Sergè
Is it quite frequent to find yellow spots on the belly of s. s. salamandra or would you say it's rare?
Only few of mine have them and they seem to have developed them with sexual maturity.

Yes, it is true, belly spots develop during maturity. Mostly shortly after metamorphosis animals develop some spots on their chin, and when they grow older belly parts can become more and more yellow. But no in all individuals, not even within the same population. So colour development of the belly side is totally different than on the dorsal side, which is pretty interesting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back