Illness/Sickness: Something odd on tip of tail

Axoponics

Reaction score
Country
United States
My 7” juvenile has something odd on the tip of it’s tail. Yesterday it had a similar looking thing and it fell off. From what I’ve read that means it’s more likely to be slime coat shedding and not fungus? To my knowledge there isn’t anything in the tank (40 breeder) to injure it on. Axolotl is kept alone (besides 4-5 shrimp).

Parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 5 nitrates, 64.2F (I have a chiller), pH 7.4

As luck has it, I’m going out of town for a week in a few days and I doubt my house sitter can manage anything besides feeding. I have some catappa leaves but our kH out of the tap is only 3 dkH and sometimes botanicals can swing the pH. I added some of my black tea (that I was drinking) to a sample of our water and it didn’t move the pH. I was thinking of adding a little black tea directly to the tank.

Thoughts?? Thanks so much.

Attachments

• C0FB8100-EDEE-4A5D-83B7-3519833FD9A5.jpeg
    C0FB8100-EDEE-4A5D-83B7-3519833FD9A5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 355
  • E69382B5-8BA8-4799-9E15-F91AD749A85D.jpeg
    E69382B5-8BA8-4799-9E15-F91AD749A85D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 74
These things happen. More often than not. These sorts of injuries happen when axies get "the rips" which is those times where they swim around their tank like crazy and bump into or thrash against stuff. Best advice is get him into a nice clean, bare hospital tank and wait a week or so. Keep the water clean and cool and all will be well.
if the white stuff looks almost like cotton wool then it is most likely a fungus, hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back