Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

South of The Netherlands

Niels D

Reaction score
Went herping today with the volunteers. Found L.vulgaris, L.helveticus and R.temporaria. The females of L.vulgaris weren't in the water yet, while the males allready had their crests. Hopefully we will find more species in the other puddles the following weeks.

L.vulgaris
IMG_3306.jpg

IMG_3298.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

L.helveticus
IMG_3312.jpg

R.temporaria
IMG_3309.jpg

IMG_3320.jpg

A couple of the puddles
IMG_3290.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

IMG_3321.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

Zach42

Reaction score
Awesome! Is there water in the ponds all year, or are they temporary?

Molch

Reaction score
awesome, spectacular! That helveticus male is a thing of beauty. One of the prettiest and most under appreciated newt species :) They may not be as colorful, but they are so tastefully dressed in earthtones, and all those fine lines and squiggles and dots...sigh.

Niels D

Reaction score
There aren't many puddles in The Netherlands which are temporary, because it's really wet down here in the Lowlands.

L.helveticus is indeed very beautiful. Can't get enough of those weird feet.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaah, man, my herping withdrawal symptoms are coming back...i feel so cold...

I fully agree, i´ve said this a hundred times, but it´s never enough, both L.vulgaris and L.helveticus are extremely underapreciated species. I think they are both just amazing and somehow with a higher percentage of "newtness" compared to other species. I can never get enough of L.helveticus. Never.
In fact i´ll get my annual chance to go herping in a few weeks and i just can´t wait to see some lovely, lovely helveticus.
Thank you for sharing, Niels. Beautiful animals (and awesome break-dancing newt) and ponds. I can hear my waders begging me from the closset to take them somewhere like that :D

Niels D

Reaction score
Found these two buggers today in a very small puddle. Luckily my friend didn't forget his camera, because I did. On the third picture you see a Hydrophilus piceus. They're really beautiful.

IMGA0849.jpg

IMGA0853.jpg

IMGA0860.jpg

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
I quite like Lissotriton Helveticus actually. I love their goofy feet. Lissotriton Vulgaris is also quite nice! :) These are some nice finds!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!