Southern two lined salamander eft to adult feeding Q

R

robin_k

hi,

i found a teeny tiny two lined sallie eft last june, brought him home to my planted aquarium, and he just became an adult last week. his gills disappeared, he grew significantly, and.. unfortunately.. now he's entirely terrestrial. i'm going to house him in a terrarium soon, since he clings to the glass of my aquarium during the day (i do have lots of land for him, but he refuses it for the most part).

while aquatic, he was a very good eater.. he sniffed out the frozen brine shrimp long before my other critters in the aquarium. i am very concerned now, because he doesn't eat when i feed the others since he won't go in the water. i read about his species in my field guides, but there aren't much help.

does anyone know if he should be eating a different diet? or have suggestions about how i can feed him? i've tried putting the brine shrimp on cork bark, but he hasn't found it yet.

thank you!

Small terrestrial sals are the biggest pain in the neck to feed. He would probably appreciate some hiding places, perhaps some plant cuttings. This will reduce the climbing. As far as how to feed him, I think the ideas on this page may help (even though it was written for an entirely different species):
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/Cp_juv.html

Thank you, Jennifer. The link is extremely helpful! : )

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back